Nats series roll call

Frobby

I've been going to the ballpark longer than I can remember -- literally. I was 6 or 7 when my parents took me to see the last regulation game played at Memorial Stadium; I barely remember it. Since then, my family has gone out to the ole OPACY at least two times a year, win or lose; although we tend to go slightly more often when the O's are on a winning tear (in other words, not in August/September, unless the year is 2010 ;)).

I'm 26, and one thing I have NEVER done is to visit a non-Orioles baseball park. Combine that with the intensification of my Orioles fandom as I've grown older and realized that my day job is pretty boring, so I have been wanting to experiment a little and see some new sights aside from just OPACY.

Being that I live in that sweet spot right between Baltimore and Washington -- almost exactly equidistant to the city limits of each -- it's equally easy for me to get to a Washington Metro station as it is for me to get to the Light Rail. But I've never actually gone to an away game before, partially because the Nats are relatively new, and partially because we barely ever play them (and I wouldn't go to the Nats to watch them play any other team than the Orioles).

So, it starts today. I'll be at Nats Stadium tonight to watch Arrieta. Let's hope he's found his stuff so I don't go home broken-hearted on my first away game. I'm betting on a favorable outcome because we have such a good road record, but the Nats are really good, so that evens the odds a bit.

If you're wearing orange at Nats Stadium and you see a big, scruffy guy in a black O's t-shirt in the stands, feel free to say hi. I may post what section I'm in later in the day from my phone; right now I don't have my tickets with me.

Anyway, off to work in Baltimore for a short day, and then I'll be treating my mom to a game on "mother's day week". I've been raving to my mom about the O's winning ways every night, so they better not disappoint ;) Go O's!

That makes tonight a must-win game.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will have fun. Nats Park is so different from OPACY. Be sure to take some time to walk around. They have pillars on the lower deck concourse that have portraits of various Hall of Famers on them. There is one of Frank Robinson on the concourse between 1B and home plate. I think there is one of Brooks, too, but I forget where it is (and I am not 100% sure there is one.)

Wish i could be there. I actually think we are slightly overmatched pitching wise in this series, but its a good look at two teams on the upswing, and i think a very compelling

national(no pun intended) story. Not that people will look at it as anything big nationally, but I think its a very significant series on the Orioles schedule, and possibly a

"statement" series for the two franchises. I say the Orioles win one of the three and make it three out of five on this road trip..then the Red Sox come to town.

Pitching match ups may favor the Nats on paper (at least Fri/Sun), but that offense is not good. I mean, it's bottom 3rd of baseball, especially missing Werth, Morse, and Ramos, and Zimmerman not really hitting well yet. LaRoche has really been their only offensive weapon.

I always go see them play the Tigers in the cash cow that is Comerica Park. Zero soul to that place. Just a chasm of advertising and overpriced everything.

Don't care though, Orioles usually play really well against the Tigers. :2yay-thumb:

lucky you. I was in Arlington for the 26-7 romp in '96 and visiting Camden in '07 for the 30-3 bashing. Along with countless other failed attempts against the Rangers. I really need to move to another city.

The big pre-game (and post-game for that matter) area is the Bullpen, right outside the centerfield gate - large, open area with music, beer tents and food trucks. Not too far away (20 min walk) is Barracks Row (8th Street) with lots of bars and restaurants.

There is free taxi service from the bars to the stadium last time I went. Just had to tip.

Archived