ChiSox Beckham tackles Cubs' DeJesus off second base; called out - 5/18/12

Enjoy Terror

I wouldn't really call that a tackle.

I wouldn't, either. They both dove in an effort to be safe (the runner), and to tag the runner out (the defender). The momentum of the collision knocked the runner off of the bag after he was already safely in, but there was nothing intentional about it.

It was nothing like the 1991 World Series with Kent Hrbek and Ron Gant.

God I hate Hawk Harrelson. If that doesn't prove how much of a homer he is, then I don't know what will. How can he actually say that was a good play by Beckham (with a straight face)?

Now I don't think that Beckham did that on purpose but you still can't call DeJesus out.

God I hate Hawk Harrelson. If that doesn't prove how much of a homer he is, then I don't know what will. How can he actually say that was a good play by Beckham (with a straight face)?

Now I don't think that Beckham did that on purpose but you still can't call DeJesus out.

Yep. He should have been called safe because he was already in safely at the time of the contact, and it was Beckham's momentum that knocked him off the bag. The only way that he should have been called out would have been if his own momentum took him off the bag, and it didn't.

Archived