Boswell: MLB Committee will issue a valuation of Nat's MASN rights fees on June 1

Frobby

There has been a number of international talents that this board was in favor of signing that did not happen. I have been pushing for more money to be allocated toward international talent and the draft instead of FA players and I am not the only one.

Ok. that's reasonable. But the O's hadn't bought into that talent supply being a good gamble. I can understand that as well as there don't seem to be any studies on how often that works out. I think someone posted recently that the Yankees had 5 guys in 15 years that "made it". If that's the Yankee's success rate, what would ours be?

I also prefer the FA International market. Who were some that signeed that you would have wanted at the same numbers they went for?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And how many good players would it take to make this a legitimate contending team? Probably those 2 or 3 depending who they were, and considering whothey were.....well you get the point. There could be a contender on the field, right now, if the owner wasn't lining his pockets instead. Those extra couple pieces go a long way, especially when you have a young growing team that just needs that push in a few spots.

I don't disagree with the philosophy, but the vast majority of sane fans around here haven't liked any of the deals high level players were signed for since I've been on the HO save perhaps Tex.

Ok. that's reasonable. But the O's hadn't bought into that talent supply being a good gamble. I can understand that as well as there don't seem to be any studies on how often that works out. I think someone posted recently that the Yankees had 5 guys in 15 years that "made it". If that's the Yankee's success rate, what would ours be?

I also prefer the FA International market. Who were some that signeed that you would have wanted at the same numbers they went for?

I don't have names on hand, I am not talking about Chapman or Cepedes as much as I am the 16 year olds that get 6 figure bonuses.

• 2 months later...

From Dave Hughes at the D.C. Radio and Television blog:

"Nats Could Get A Bigger Piece Of MASN - 9/25 - DCRTV's hearing more from key local media sources regarding the dragged-out talks Major League Baseball is having regarding the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network and its TV rights payments to the Nationals and the Orioles. One scenario that seems to be rising to the top of the "most likely" outcomes, we're told, involves the Nationals taking an accelerated ownership percentage in MASN. Currently, the team owns 13% of the Baltimore-based regional sports network. That figure could go up to somewhere in the 40% range - much sooner than the current time frame calls for. That's a key sticking point in the talks, which were supposed to produce results in June. Now, we hear, there will be no announcement of a MASN rights deal until early next year. The Nationals are asking MASN, which is controlled by the Orioles and broadcasts both teams' games, for between $100 million and $120 million per year, at least three times the $29 million they received last season. Reportedly, MASN proposed paying $34 million this season. A new acceletated [sic] ownership deal could see the Nationals receiving somewhere near the $120 million range next year, without MASN actually cutting the team a check for that amount. And, whatever the Nationals get from the deal, the Orioles are due the same amount, according to a market sharing deal. However, we're told that the current talks could still fall apart, with MASN and the Nationals' ownership heading to court next year....."

That sounds like PA is willing to accelerate the Nats ownership stake so he doesn't have to increase payments to the Orioles.

Wow.

Shows were his priorities are.

While I need to think about it, I think this avoids either team having to show increased revenue and therefore have to kick into the MLB shared revenue pot. So, good for all the owners, who can take the profits out of MASN instead of their teams and if they want to use some of those funds to add payroll etc. they just make a capital contribution and it doesn't count as revenue or profit.

While I need to think about it, I think this avoids either team having to show increased revenue and therefore have to kick into the MLB shared revenue pot. So, good for all the owners, who can take the profits out of MASN instead of their teams and if they want to use some of those funds to add payroll etc. they just make a capital contribution and it doesn't count as revenue or profit.

I would love for you to be right.

Have we seen any evidence of the bolded behavior in the past from PA?

Archived