Interesting tweet from Denver Bundy

CamdenTerp

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. I think a much better plan is for Bundy to just overwhelm low-level hitters with his fastball, learn absolutely nothing, and then not be prepared when he gets to the level where hitters hit the 97 mph fastball if they know it's coming.

Right. I think a much better plan is for Bundy to just overwhelm low-level hitters with his fastball, learn absolutely nothing, and then not be prepared when he gets to the level where hitters hit the 97 mph fastball if they know it's coming.

That was my first thought too. Once a few major league quality hitters get hold of some of his fastballs and bounce them off of the International Space Station, he's going to be thankful he has some well-practiced offspeed stuff to mix in.

That was my first thought too. Once a few major league quality hitters get hold of some of his fastballs and bounce them off of the International Space Station, he's going to be thankful he has some well-practiced offspeed stuff to mix in.

Damn, my side hurts from laughing at this.

To be expected. Whether or not the last start was a shot across the bow from the Bundy camp, you can't blame them for growing tired of the Sally League. The organization has to move him to level that is at least closer to Dylan's talent. He's up to 5 IP per start -- move him to Frederick for a few starts. If there is even a hint of challenge, go ahead and keep Bundy there as long as you want. If he continues to mow down hitters with just fastballs, move him quickly to Bowie.

To be expected. Whether or not the last start was a shot across the bow from the Bundy camp, you can't blame them for growing tired of the Sally League. The organization has to move him to level that is at least closer to Dylan's talent. He's up to 5 IP per start -- move him to Frederick for a few starts. If there is even a hint of challenge, go ahead and keep Bundy there as long as you want. If he continues to mow down hitters with just fastballs, move him quickly to Bowie.

Sounds like a good plan to me. It has to be hard to convince someone they need to develop a changeup when they have never needed to use one before. Move him up until he faces some level of challenge, and then he'll (hopefully) understand the need for a changeup.

To me, this whole A ballers "catching up with the change up" idea is very suspect. If Bundy is throwing 96, 97, 98 for strikes and then follows up with a good change up, then there's no way your typical A ball hitter is going to "catch up". If it's a GOOD change up, then they are going to be way out ahead of the pitch. Low A ball hitters should be MORE susceptible to a good fastball - change up combination, not less susceptible. And if he only threw like two change ups all night, then how does he even know if it was hittable? Talk about small sample size. Anyway, I just don't buy this "catch up with the change up" idea. If they were hitting his change ups, then it's much more likely that his change up was mediocre or he was telegraphing the pitch. The catch up idea makes it sound like they were swinging hard thinking it was a fastball and then accidentally hit the change up. Sounds like baloney.

If a player can't catch up to a good fastball, you're helping them by throwing a pitch (change - up) that they have the bat speed to hit. That's why most top HS pitchers don't have practiced change-ups.

Archived