Interesting tweet from Denver Bundy

CamdenTerp

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me, this whole A ballers "catching up with the change up" idea is very suspect. If Bundy is throwing 96, 97, 98 for strikes and then follows up with a good change up, then there's no way your typical A ball hitter is going to "catch up". If it's a GOOD change up, then they are going to be way out ahead of the pitch. Low A ball hitters should be MORE susceptible to a good fastball - change up combination, not less susceptible. And if he only threw like two change ups all night, then how does he even know if it was hittable? Talk about small sample size. Anyway, I just don't buy this "catch up with the change up" idea. If they were hitting his change ups, then it's much more likely that his change up was mediocre or he was telegraphing the pitch. The catch up idea makes it sound like they were swinging hard thinking it was a fastball and then accidentally hit the change up. Sounds like baloney.

The one he threw was almost hit out of the park. He attributed that to him having speeded the bat up. They need to just move him up, even if they had planned a couple of more starts in Delmarva

Enjoy the 7 years he's in B'more.

Exactly. If management screws with this kid while he is here just to obtain an extra year for him, I dont think his family will like it, especially if he deserves to be here. It may be a business to the team, but you can bet it is a business to the family too.

Some petty dramas can be resolved over 7 years time :)

I know this is thinking way too far ahead, but does anyone here have faith that if he becomes who we all hope he becomes, that he is going to get paid by this organization and it's current leadership? I doubt they pay both Wieters and Jones. Those are probably 100 MM contracts for each guys.

Exactly. If management screws with this kid while he is here just to obtain an extra year for him, I dont think his family will like it, especially if he deserves to be here. It may be a business to the team, but you can bet it is a business to the family too.

They know it is a business, in almost all cases of a young phenom the game is played.

To me, this whole A ballers "catching up with the change up" idea is very suspect. If Bundy is throwing 96, 97, 98 for strikes and then follows up with a good change up, then there's no way your typical A ball hitter is going to "catch up". If it's a GOOD change up, then they are going to be way out ahead of the pitch. Low A ball hitters should be MORE susceptible to a good fastball - change up combination, not less susceptible. And if he only threw like two change ups all night, then how does he even know if it was hittable? Talk about small sample size. Anyway, I just don't buy this "catch up with the change up" idea. If they were hitting his change ups, then it's much more likely that his change up was mediocre or he was telegraphing the pitch. The catch up idea makes it sound like they were swinging hard thinking it was a fastball and then accidentally hit the change up. Sounds like baloney.

Keep in mind his change up is generally as fast as a slightly below average fastball.

I totally agree it's time to move him up, but I still don't buy the "catch up" argument. Kyleott, where did you get that info? If his change up is 90 something miles an hour then he's going to get lit up as he moves higher. Here's a report about his change up on one scouting site: "Changeup is a good pitch with room for improvement; sits in the upper 70’s and very low 80’s; should also become above-average pitch". Baltfan, the ONE he threw was almost hit out of the park? I think it is far more likely that it was a weak offering or telegraphed than the "speeded up the bat" idea. Again, I think he should move up, but this whole change up idea seems far fetched to me. Weak hitters tend to be more susceptible to good fastball - change up combinations, not less. It makes far more sense that the change up that got hammered was not a great pitch.

I totally agree it's time to move him up, but I still don't buy the "catch up" argument. Kyleott, where did you get that info? If his change up is 90 something miles an hour then he's going to get lit up as he moves higher. Here's a report about his change up on one scouting site: "Changeup is a good pitch with room for improvement; sits in the upper 70’s and very low 80’s; should also become above-average pitch". Baltfan, the ONE he threw was almost hit out of the park? I think it is far more likely that it was a weak offering or telegraphed than the "speeded up the bat" idea. Again, I think he should move up, but this whole change up idea seems far fetched to me. Weak hitters tend to be more susceptible to good fastball - change up combinations, not less. It makes far more sense that the change up that got hammered was not a great pitch.

Prior to TJ surgery Strasburg's Change was in the 90 MPH range.

Nasty pitch.

Here is what Bundy said.

The Suns’ first — and best — of two chances to blemish Bundy’s spotless ERA came with two outs in the second when J.P. Ramirez connected on a 2-1 changeup and sent it to the right-field fence. Brenden Webb leaped and robbed Ramirez of a home run, catching the ball over the barrier.

“That wasn’t a good pitch at the time,” Bundy said. “I said to myself, ‘He was late on a 2-0 fastball and you throw him a 2-1 change.’ That’s all part of the thinking. They can come up and time the fastball after seeing it two or three times up. I have to be better at timing their bats.”

http://www.herald-mail.com/sports/hm-orioles-top-pitching-prospect-taking-things-a-step-at-a-time-20120520,0,7978333.story

Archived