Interesting tweet from Denver Bundy

CamdenTerp

In the ESPN article Bundy said he had been told to shelve his cutter for the year in order to concentrate on the development of other pitches. This isn't that unusual for a top high prospect. Most scouts think that the cutter is perhaps his best pitch, certainly his best "off-speed" offering.

The O's limited Matusz's pitches when he was in A ball. If I recall correctly they wouldn't let him throw his curve.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll give Denver a call and let you know what's up. He's a good guy who wants the best for his sons, but when I talked with him as the season broke he was quite happy with the plan they had for Dylan. Guess we'll see if things have changed.

I'm sure he is and I'm sure he does.

However, if he has a problem with the Os management of his son then perhaps he should talk to the Os directly, not complain via twitter-land.

I'm sure he is and I'm sure he does.

However, if he has a problem with the Os management of his son then perhaps he should talk to the Os directly, not complain via twitter-land.

I agree. My daughter would have had a fit if I'd done something like that when she was playing lacrosse. It would have embarassed her no end.

I can't figure out why they would tell him to shelve his best pitch. What happens if he loses his touch on it? Shouldn't you work on becoming a better pitcher, and not work on certain pitches?

They're probably telling him not to use it in games, not to quit practicing it.

Denver Bundy ‏@Denver_Bundy

Rick Peterson or someone with the Orioles pulled their head out of the sand and took a look around. Yes Yes Yes.

Not sure implying that Rick Peterson needed to pull his head out of the sand is something he should be saying on twitter. Didn't Denver Bundy say something about how well his sons handled things like social media when Dylan joined Bobby in the organization?

Not sure implying that Rick Peterson needed to pull his head out of the sand is something he should be saying on twitter. Didn't Denver Bundy say something about how well his sons handled things like social media when Dylan joined Bobby in the organization?

Wow. He's certainly signing a different tune now. I didn't get a chance to call him yesterday but will try soon.

Agree that this criticism is a bit over-the-top, and again don't want to make too big a deal over scenarios that might delay DB's major league debut by a couple of months, but it appears to me that DB has spent the first 40% or so of his first minor league season learning pretty much nothing. DB has not been at an appropriate level to learn and compete and, at the rate the Os are promoting him, DB might not reach that level in 2012 - or only get 50 or so IP there.

This is also the organization that moved Wieters through pretty quickly, promoted Markakis from Frederick to Baltimore in the span of a few hundred ABs, etc, but IMO it will be comical to end this season and see the Os front office patting themselves on the back for realizing DB can dominate Low and High A ball hitters.

Actually, the Rick Peterson tweet doesn't look that bad. I think this is a reference to the Orioles going to 6 man rotations not Dylan being promoted. If that is the case, seems to me that isn't a big deal because he believes most teams to have their heads in the sand.

Agree that this criticism is a bit over-the-top, and again don't want to make too big a deal over scenarios that might delay DB's major league debut by a couple of months, but it appears to me that DB has spent the first 40% or so of his first minor league season learning pretty much nothing. DB has not been at an appropriate level to learn and compete and, at the rate the Os are promoting him, DB might not reach that level in 2012 - or only get 50 or so IP there.

This is also the organization that moved Wieters through pretty quickly, promoted Markakis from Frederick to Baltimore in the span of a few hundred ABs, etc, but IMO it will be comical to end this season and see the Os front office patting themselves on the back for realizing DB can dominate Low and High A ball hitters.

Do you think there is any value to the notion of easing him into living on his own and other life changes outside of baseball? Remember he was a high school kid that's never lived on his own.

Denver's latest tweet regarding six man rotation

@masnSteve This is great news, not so sure it needs to go into AA but I applaud the O's and Rick Peterson. No fear, work outside the box.

Archived