Sun:Grimsley names 3 O's in banned drug case

TWpj

The Sun writers have their version out, complete with quotes...

Tejada...

Gibbons...

Mike Flanagan...

Comment from Grimsley's lawyer...

Come on. Victor Conte has said it himself many times. Just because they don't test positive doesn't mean they're not juicing. The people making roids and HGH have always found a way to stay ahead of what the tests pick up.

Thats why what Grimsley and Canseco have been saying are more damning, because tests today aren't accurate.

Nice of you to pull your head out of the sand long enough to write a post.

:D

You won't see many failed drug tests. The athletes have the money to stay ahead of the testing technology. That was the beauty of BALCO's "The Cream" and "The Clear"- undetectable lotions.

The union negotiated the terms. Until the new rules this year- the players were notified months in advance when they would be tested. Now, they are switching to hgh for which there is no reliable test and other "hi tech" designer drugs.

Olympics, MLB and other sport leagues should combine their resources to combat the problem internationally and come up with INTL standards.

Couldn't say it better myself.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking the same thing.

It will soon, but as I said before I think that it has been very widespread...the money is way too big not to cheat.

I want it cleaned up....but I want to be competitive too.

If the league is gonna roid, do you want to have the only team with natural athletes?

Seems to me all those steroids and HGH would have got us a little higher in

the standings. Ive said all along that I believe 100's of players used something. It just surprizes me that Grimsley only came up with six.

You just might as well accept todays stats as those of the steroid era and dont compare them with the old days when other forms of cheating was less chemical.

Blaming Selig for this has some flaws. I know he knew what was going on but if you think in the middle of labor peace that he was going to go to the union for steroid testing they would of laughed in his face. Keep in mind none of the big stories that came out were before the 2002 labor agreement. If I was the commissioner I would of done the same thing he did, wait until the labor agreement came up and then add testing. Canseco and Balco blew this thing up. Had Selig came out and made a big deal out of adding steroid testing during labor peace he would of been a fool. It would of looked stupid to discredit what was going on. I just love the timing of this, right before the playoffs. The national media will love it while they continue to kiss the NFL's butt. I am not defending MLB with steroids but it is rampant everywhere.

Exactly !

Bud and the owners tried to do more several times at the bargaining table but DOn Fehr and the boys would have NONE of it.

Only when MLBPA had become a laughingstock in the publics eye, and pressure by Congress did Fehr relent and accept tougher drug testing.

Seems to me all those steroids and HGH would have got us a little higher in

the standings. Ive said all along that I believe 100's of players used something. It just surprizes me that Grimsley only came up with six.

You just might as well accept todays stats as those of the steroid era and dont compare them with the old days when other forms of cheating was less chemical.

The Baltimore Orioles... the poster team for proof that steroids and HGH don't necessarily make you better baseball players.

What the hell am I supposed to tell my six-year-old nephew who idolizes Brian Roberts?

I will wait to see how this story develops, but right now... I don't know if I could step foot in Camden Yards again if all this is true.

Either there is some gross injustice here, or it seems as though literally all baseball players have been on the juice.

Brian is perfect! This is a lie! Trust me!

Blaming Selig for this has some flaws. I know he knew what was going on but if you think in the middle of labor peace that he was going to go to the union for steroid testing they would of laughed in his face. Keep in mind none of the big stories that came out were before the 2002 labor agreement. If I was the commissioner I would of done the same thing he did, wait until the labor agreement came up and then add testing. Canseco and Balco blew this thing up. Had Selig came out and made a big deal out of adding steroid testing during labor peace he would of been a fool. It would of looked stupid to discredit what was going on. I just love the timing of this, right before the playoffs. The national media will love it while they continue to kiss the NFL's butt. I am not defending MLB with steroids but it is rampant everywhere.

Steroid use without presciptions is illegal, they are illegal for a reason. We are a society of laws, who is Bud Selig to pick and choose which laws are right and which are wrong. In the end character and integrity matter and Selig has neither. He sold his soul to the devil and now he is getting a pitchfork in the ass.

I just read the affidavit... interesting. Grimsely's comments are very similar to those made by Canseco... that everyone uses them and they are (or at least were before testing started) everywhere.

Check out his statement about a player with the "worst back acne" he'd ever seen as evidence of steroid use. I'm guessing Gibbons? (It's redacted of course.)

I believe Grimsley. He has no reason to lie and his statements ring true. According to the affidavit, he named "several" other names but the affiant simply left those out. If someone has time to try to fill in the redacted names, it would be very interesting. David Segui was obvious.

If it's true that "everyone" is using some form of steroids, then I'm not sure how I feel about it. Think about your profession. If everyone was "cheating" and the cheating was not being policed to the extent that it was essentially accepted (think "decriminalization of marijuana"), would you really not participate in the "cheating" if it meant your career and livelihood were on the line? Pretty tough moral dilemma. It might be easier simply to condemn baseball as whole rather than individual players.

Everyone is a suspect.

Pujols' trainer or whatever was named in this too.

It is what it is. Players have always found ways to cheat or had some kind of advantage throughout the years of the sport. Steroids and HGH are this generation's advantage.

Steroids and HGH can be seen as this generations spitballs. grease balls Greenies, corked bats, sharpened spikes or extra balls hidden in the un cut OF grass. Except that they can kill you and kids can take them in emulation of the pros. I really don't know what to think. I think that Brian Roberts is an upright decent human being and if he's juicing I'd really like to know what he thinks. I can't believe it's something he would do lightly or that he would do without a clesr conscience.

Nice of you to pull your head out of the sand long enough to write a post.

:D

You won't see many failed drug tests. The athletes have the money to stay ahead of the testing technology. That was the beauty of BALCO's "The Cream" and "The Clear"- undetectable lotions.

The union negotiated the terms. Until the new rules this year- the players were notified months in advance when they would be tested. Now, they are switching to hgh for which there is no reliable test and other "hi tech" designer drugs.

Olympics, MLB and other sport leagues should combine their resources to combat the problem internationally and come up with INTL standards.

Yeah, I know the goods have been around and will be around. It will take a little more than a statement from a journeyman relief pitcher to make me burn my Roberts, Tejada T-shirts.

Every now and then some minor leaguer or a MLB relief pitcher gets busted but you're right, we won't see many failed tests.

I'm in Sports Guy's camp, I wouldn't be surprised and I'm not sure I really care. I know it has been around and will be around. Let's face it, these guys make a living w/their bodies not w/a "10 key" so if they can get an edge, some guys will make the choice.

Steroids and HGH can be seen as this generations spitballs. grease balls Greenies, corked bats, sharpened spikes or extra balls hidden in the un cut OF grass. Except that they can kill you and kids can take them in emulation of the pros. I really don't know what to think. I think that Brian Roberts is an upright decent human being and if he's juicing I'd really like to know what he thinks. I can't believe it's something he would do lightly or that he would do without a clesr conscience.

How is sharpened spikes cheating? To back my boy up, It was a myth that Ty Cobb sharpened his spikes, he never said he didn't when he played because people stop blocking the 2nd base and 3rd base.

Steroid use without presciptions is illegal, they are illegal for a reason. We are a society of laws, who is Bud Selig to pick and choose which laws are right and which are wrong. In the end character and integrity matter and Selig has neither. He sold his soul to the devil and now he is getting a pitchfork in the ass.

This is a union you are dealing with you just can't go out and say I want this, this, this and this, it doesn't work that way. Selig and anybody else who would be the commissioner are in the same boat. The NFL didn't add steroid testing until it became a problem not before. Bud Selig can't do a damn thing unless it is agreed to in negotiations. I not saying you are completely wrong in your thoughts but the real world doesn't work this way.

Archived