Rumors the evil empire may be up for sale. Rise of Rays and Orioles quoted as partial reasons.

Gurgi

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-sale-rumors-swirl-baseball-banking-cirlcles-sources-article-1.1083600

Mariano Rivera?s freak knee injury may have ended his Hall of Fame career, while Rodriguez and Derek Jeter are in the twilight of their careers. Players the Yankees hoped would emerge as future stars, such as Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes, haven?t panned out. The rise of the Tampa Bay Rays and the Baltimore Orioles have made the American League East, a division the Yankees dominated for years, that much tougher.

As one of the sources put it, there?s no reason for Hal, Hank, Jessica, the GM of the family?s stable in Ocala, Fla., and Jennifer to hang on to the team other than the prestige of owning the New York Yankees.

?Hal hates the players,? the source said, ?and he hates the media.?

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-sale-rumors-swirl-baseball-banking-cirlcles-sources-article-1.1083600#ixzz1vmFNrLGm

I would guess the sale of the Dodgers is the real motivation. They think they can get at least 3 billion dollars. They probably are right.

Tuesday is my birthday. Perhaps I'll see this same story, with the words Angelos and Orioles substituted for Steinbrenner and Yankees.

I am sure Angelos saw the Dodgers sale and knows he can make quite a tidy profit in selling the O's. It is all about legacy right now and if the team can get above .500 or dare I say, make it to the playoffs this season (Once could only hope.) then I wouldn't doubt for a second that he would be much more open to selling than he has in the past. His 2 sons are not into the team either.

Throwing more and more good money at bad players like Pascual Perez, Dave LaPoint, Steve Kemp, Ed Whitson and Andy Hawkins.

Beauty, eh?

Especially since all of those players (with the exception of LaPoint) were pretty darned good before going to the Yankees. ;)

Plus, Ed Whitson had 4 solid seasons after he left the Yankees with the Padres in 1987-1990. :wedge:

Archived