Heyman: Oswalt on O's radar

ChaosLex

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Oswalt would be a fine pickup but for one season with an option. The Orioles have great pitching prospects waiting in the wings, but NO quality third base prospects

currently.Besides, you just said it. The Orioles are in first place despite a decent 3b and because of their starting pitching.Thats what I'm saying exactly. Shore up 3b with a good

player and add Britton and later Pomeranz in the pen and lets see if they can compete. I say they would.And by the way, who says they cant have BOTH Oswalt and a decent 3b

option?

I really don't understand your argument, Roy. We would have to give up prospects for a 3B. We would be able to sign Oswalt for just money. Also, a team can absolutely stay in a pennant race with a weak infielder, but if we don't have a consistent starters than we are wasting our time.

One doesn't necessarily negate the other, but to say that a 3B upgrade is more important than signing Oswalt, well that's just silly.

Also, Oswalt is signing a one year deal no matter what, he has made that clear. No need to argue over this.

I have no idea when Oswalt is looking to sign, but I would imagine this would be a huge shot in the arm for this team if he were to sign here.

That being said, I don't know what he has left in the tank and I'm not sure how his stuff is going to translate to the AL East.

I think I read yesterday he wants to wait until his kids are out of school

If I had to prioritize, I'd say you're right, but I see no reason we couldn't make both happen.

Yup. I think a trade could definitely be put together for Headley based around Schoop.

Add Oswalt, Britton, and Headley to this team in June? Oh yeah!

To me, far more important to this club is a reliable, sure handed third baseman with a clutch bat. I admit that Oswalt would be a good pickup, but he's been slowed by injuries

and would want a multi year deal for big $$$. My dream FA at the deadline wouldve been David Wright, but theres no way in hell that would happen now.

I'm not sure he's going to want a multi-year deal coming off of injury. Isn't the status quo in these situations to take a 1 year deal and prove your healthy and then go for a big multi-year contract the following season? Teams aren't going to give him the same contract now, without any proof he's fully recovered and capable of being effective, that they would give him after half a season of pitching well.

And we're not talking about an "either / or" scenario here. There's no former top 3b sitting out there on the FA market at this time that we can grab instead of Oswalt. This is a very unique opportunity to get a potential high impact player mid-season without having to give up anything but cash.

Paying Oswalt shouldn't preclude us from trading for a solution at 3b and trading for a third baseman shouldn't have any impact on grabbing Oswalt unless we're going to try and pry a 3b away from someone by taking on a lot of salary. I'm not sure outside of Wright (who would probably take a haul in prospects AND taking on all of his salary) who we'd want that's going to be a salary dump for another team.

So why not add Oswalt for $ AND grab a 3b via trade using one of the arms the Oswalt signing makes redundant as the centerpiece of that deal?

Yup. I think a trade could definitely be put together for Headley based around Schoop.

Add Oswalt, Britton, and Headley to this team in June? Oh yeah!

And Roberts!

So what would we willing to pay for a half season rental of Oswalt? Are we willing to significantly overpay given that its a one time thing?

Your point being what? That Heyman (and everybody else for that matter) was wrong at one point because Detroit came out of nowhere and significantly outbid every other team when it wasn't an obvious need for them?

Keeping in mind that Prince signed 4 months after that article was published. The O's were considered a front-runner because we had a need and the assumption is that we'd open the checkbook for him. Everybody that needed a 1b was considered a front-runner at point. Hell the BoSox were considered a front-runner for Oswalt before the season even began.

Archived