Heyman: Oswalt on O's radar

ChaosLex

Clearly you have not been following this team and the way Angelos spends his money the past 10 years.

I'm not 100% sure where, but I do remember seeing that the O's came in 2nd, obviously to the Tigers. If they hadn't jumped out of nowhere, he would have been wearing orange and black apparently.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not 100% sure where, but I do remember seeing that the O's came in 2nd, obviously to the Tigers. If they hadn't jumped out of nowhere, he would have been wearing orange and black apparently.

They definitely made an effort but no way to tell how it would have turned out. He might have pulled a Vlad and sat on the O's offer until someone else offered something comparable.

I don't know what it would cost to sign him, but I'd love to see him sign with the Birds, if only because all of the idiot Texas fans down here think the Rangers are the MFYankees of yesteryear, and that (A) they can buy anyone/anything they want, and (B) every free agent alive would give vital parts of his anatomy for the chance to play in Arlington (which has still a launching pad of a stadium). I believe [O's]walt --- which is awesome, Leo Gomez, and with you're permission I'd like to steal that --- is a Texas native, but dangle enough dollars in front of him and he might be willing to listen.

They definitely made an effort but no way to tell how it would have turned out. He might have pulled a Vlad and sat on the O's offer until someone else offered something comparable.
The Dodgers made a significant offer just before he signed with DET. I think we were third behind them.

At this point in his oft-injured career, my guess is Oswalt goes for the reality of money, not the chance for glory. Whoever puts the biggest pile of bills on the table will get him.

I can't speak to his personal finances at this very second, obviously, but baseball reference reports he's made about $92 million over the course of his career. Seems like he's got a solid head on his shoulders and if he wasn't in a rush to get signed at the beginning of this year I can't imagine he's all that worried about the money. As a player, you can't buy a ring.

Bronze Medal was the quote I saw.

"Dodgers made late push to sign Prince Fielder.

The team is said to have offered a seven-year, $160-million deal that was topped by Detroit after the Tigers learned Victor Martinez probably would sit out the 2012 season because of a knee injury." http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/27/sports/la-sp-0127-dodgers-prince-fielder-20120127

I can't speak to his personal finances at this very second, obviously, but baseball reference reports he's made about $92 million over the course of his career. Seems like he's got a solid head on his shoulders and if he wasn't in a rush to get signed at the beginning of this year I can't imagine he's all that worried about the money. As a player, you can't buy a ring.

Sure you can. It doesn't even have to be in the same sport. LT just sold his Super Bowl ring...

I think he signs with Texas. Honestly, if we bring Britton up and put Hunter in the pen, I'm not sure who we'd get rid of to give him a rotation spot anyways?

Arrieta, Chen, Hammel, Matusz and Britton. I don't see Chen and Hammel going anywhere so that would mean you would inhibit the growth of one of our young starting pitchers to rent a guy for a half a year who might not have anything left in the tank anyways.

I think it's all a moot point though anyways.....he probably ends up in Texas considering he spent his first 10 years with the Astos, I believe he still lives in Texas and is really only interested in playing for a playoff team.

We all love the start we've gotten off too here early on, but the Texas Rangers are a World Series caliber baseball team with or without Roy Oswalt. He wants to sign with them more than they actually need him. That's probably not a great sign for the Orioles chances. Just being honest fellas.

Archived