Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just b/c the Gnats gave Werth $125 doesn't mean that should be a benchmark for Jones.

6/$75 would be a good deal for both sides.

If Jones continues on this track he will be a 4-4.5 WAR player. Assuming an average of 4 WAR over 6 years that would be about 6/110. I think that is high but if Jones averages 4 WAR the next two years he would get more as a FA, IMO.

Guys, this is talking without saying anything. Granderson is making 10 million this year. Worth is making 13.5 million. I'd offer Jones 8 years, 15 million. Any objections to that?

Then it is. I do not know the O's finances. I do not know if Wieters might extend and at what cost. Any number I throw out there will be plucked from my backside and won't be of any value either. I won't pretend to know their business.

Let the experts run the numbers and generate a figure and if Jones won't accept that number then you don't sign him.

So you are comfortable giving a player--with a barely above-average career OPS+, whom hasn't topped an .800 OPS or .335 OBP or 25 homers or 36 walks in a season except for his 2012 paces through two months, and is an inconsistent defender--$120 million dollars until he is 35?

Yes, with confidence.

If this is part of the O's finally starting to spend that MASN money, then I don't care what he costs. Just get it done. Same with Wieters.

However, since Angelos spending money on his baseball team is ludicrous, I'd like to see a reasonably team friendly deal

Just b/c the Gnats gave Werth $125 doesn't mean that should be a benchmark for Jones.

6/$75 would be a good deal for both sides.

Wrong. Jones is better than Werth. His agent simply won't let him sign for less than Werth. We don't set the market, we participate in it.

Wrong. Jones is better than Werth. His agent simply won't let him sign for less than Werth. We don't set the market, we participate in it.

Then we should trade him at the deadline or at the end of the year, and not participate in this case.

Probably something like:

13: 10M

14: 13M

15: 13M

16: 15M

17: 16M

18: 17M

I think it takes at least 6/84. May have to go that 7th year, or more per year. Maybe 6/90. Probably going to be overpaid.

6/84 right now is a more than fair deal for Jones. The Orioles are taking a risk that these first two months are a fluke. Jones gives up trying for the mother lode for security. He would be taking a risk by not signing that deal. You should be good for life with 84 mil. (Plus the 10 mil. he's already made.)

If he won't sign, the Os have to get something good out it through trade or draft, that's all. That's what good teams do. It's a mistake to get too attached to your players. The Os must know this by now. We are (as Seinfeld said?) just rooting for the jerseys after all.

Wow! I think that is selling Adam Jones way too short. He is a good to a really good defender at the least.

He's looked much better than last year, but I don't think inconsistent is unfair. He has the ability to be very good defensively, but he has tended to play too shallow. That's something that seems to be corrected this year.

Just read the following in Roch's latest post and didn't see it anywhere here.

Has anyone else seen or heard anything regarding this?

This offseason DD said there was nothing imminent, and then they almost immediately made a few moves. Just sayin...

Archived