mcneck

Probably something like:

13: 10M

14: 13M

15: 13M

16: 15M

17: 16M

18: 17M

I think it takes at least 6/84. May have to go that 7th year, or more per year. Maybe 6/90. Probably going to be overpaid.

This looks about right but the O's gave Markakis a 7th year option and I think they do the same with Jones. 6/86 plus a 7th year option at 17M with a 2M buyout. Total possible deal 7/101M

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he finishes the season with the stat line he has now, I agree.

Does one great year make him less of a risk in terms of putting up great number over the next 6-7 years? If I were Boras I would want Jones to sign a 7-8 year deal, which would take him through the best baseball that he will play and into 1-2 years where the numbers may decline. I bet Boras asks for 8/$136 and the two sides settle for something like 7/$100.

Does one great year make him less of a risk in terms of putting up great number over the next 6-7 years? If I were Boras I would want Jones to sign a 7-8 year deal, which would take him through the best baseball that he will play and into 1-2 years where the numbers may decline. I bet Boras asks for 8/$136 and the two sides settle for something like 7/$100.

Jones is represented by CAA Sports.

I bet he doesn't. Boras is not his agent.

Does one great year make him less of a risk in terms of putting up great number over the next 6-7 years?

I would say yes, considering he hasn't done it yet, and he's just entering his prime.

Anything more than six seems like a risk, and as far as any Werth-type deals or even a little less than that, I'd be inclined to trade him or let him walk. Even if he walks, you get one and a half years of him busting his tail for that jackpot and 2 picks. It's not a disaster.

Man, Roch just slips that in there doesn't he?

Where did this come from? I've heard no rumblings other than this tiny blurb... Odd.

Are you in a position to hear the rumblings Roch is? I imagine he is talking to Wharehouse types.

I realize I'm in the minority on this and I hope you guys are right and I'm wrong. I hope we can sign him for < 100 million. However, I think that's a pipe dream. Teixeira is on a contract of 8 years, 180 million. Making 24 million this year. He's hitting .226 with 5 hrs and an obp of .291. Werth was an average player last year and is hurt this year. Jones is not just better than those two players, he's very much better. I hope DD is more generous than you guys:)

To quote a great poster, I'd like to say that there is a ton of "emotional non-sense" going on in this thread. ;)

I like Jonesy, but it's not in our best interest to be giving out bad contracts based off of 6 weeks by a player who isn't likely to consistently perform as he has in said past 6 weeks. It's highly unlikely to me that Jones is a 4 WAR player year-in year-out. He may do that this year, and he may even have another season in that ball park, but I just don't buy it that that's who he is.

I'm enjoying his production so far, but it's goofy to want to lock him up right in the midst of a crazy good start to the season. If we were going to extend him, it should have been last off-season. Now if we extend him, it's going to cost us more (which is fine to a degree, provided it's not an insane #). If we trade him, his value is higher, but the longer we wait the more that gets negated by being a 1 year 4 month rental (and decreasing) for the other team.

To quote a great poster, I'd like to say that there is a ton of "emotional non-sense" going on in this thread. ;)

I like Jonesy, but it's not in our best interest to be giving out bad contracts based off of 6 weeks by a player who isn't likely to consistently perform as he has in said past 6 weeks. It's highly unlikely to me that Jones is a 4 WAR player year-in year-out. He may do that this year, and he may even have another season in that ball park, but I just don't buy it that that's who he is.

I'm enjoying his production so far, but it's goofy to want to lock him up right in the midst of a crazy good start to the season. If we were going to extend him, it should have been last off-season. Now if we extend him, it's going to cost us more (which is fine to a degree, provided it's not an insane #). If we trade him, his value is higher, but the longer we wait the more that gets negated by being a 1 year 4 month rental (and decreasing) for the other team.

IMHO you can't think like this. Jones has every right to demand a huge contract from us because if he waits for free agency, he'll be sure to get one. No-one in Washington is crying because Werth is overpayed. They figure with their good young players, they can afford to overpay Werth and he'll be a solid, contributing player for them. I think we overpay Jones now. If he doesn't continue on his current path and he reverts to a good, not great, player, so be it. If he becomes a superstar, he should and will get paid like one. With Bundy and Machado slated to make next to nothing for 5 years, it isn't a terrible outcome to overpay Jones and Wieters...

Well, it's just good 'ole fashion smart negotiating to start talking extension with the guy when he gets off to the best start of his career. Oh, wait...

Ya, let's wait for him to go in a slump and offer him a below market salary. That's worked real well over the last 15 years.

Archived