Carlos Pena Leading off for Rays last night

CA-ORIOLE

Gotta love Maddon. Not afraid to think outside the box, platoon players and manipulate the lineup for every last bit of efficiency he can get. Pena gets on base 3 out five times.

So he's a genius for batting a guy with a better than .350 career OBP in the leadoff spot? Joyce is the only regular with a higher OBP, and Pena isn't hitting his weight, so it seems logical to lead him off as he's getting on base, and not clearing the bases when he's batting lower in the order.

So he's a genius for batting a guy with a better than .350 career OBP in the leadoff spot? Joyce is the only regular with a higher OBP, and Pena isn't hitting his weight, so it seems logical to lead him off as he's getting on base, and not clearing the bases when he's batting lower in the order.

Wow, tough crowd. No I'm guessing not too many ML managers would be batting a power hitter like Carlos Pena leadoff (or second as he has been most of the season) or batting a Jeff Keppinger or Jose Lopez cleanup against LHP or a lot of the other things Maddon does with the lineup. I agree they seem reasonable to me (and I guess to you), but the point was stuff like this isn't typically done.

Wow, tough crowd. No I'm guessing not too many ML managers would be batting a power hitter like Carlos Pena leadoff (or second as he has been most of the season) or batting a Jeff Keppinger or Jose Lopez cleanup against LHP or a lot of the other things Maddon does with the lineup. I agree they seem reasonable to me (and I guess to you), but the point was stuff like this isn't typically done.

I didn't intend to come off as snide to you, honestly it wasn't my intention so I apologize if it came across that way. But just glancing at their players, and with Pena really not supplying the power or even hits yet, it makes sense to me to put him up top, because he's getting on base nearly 37% of the time. Now, obviously, if he starts mashing they will move him down ASAP.

Archived