BA Mock Draft v2.0, Callis has the O's picking Kevin Gausman

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/mock-draft/2012/2613463.html

4. ORIOLES. Baltimore seems to be leaning more towards arms than bats, especially if Buxton is gone, so that would leave it looking at Gausman and Zimmer. Gausman had a strong start at the Southeastern Conference tournament this week, while Zimmer will try to put hamstring woes and fluctuating velocity behind him in his final outing of the season tonight. Don't rule out Correa or Almora here.

Projected Pick: KEVIN GAUSMAN.

I prefer Gausman over Zimmer, but arguments can be made for either player and I wouldn't be distraught if one of them was our pick.

Stotle suggested that Correa could sign for less than 4.2 MM, and if the same could be said for Almora, that would make them even more valuable. Perhaps neither Gausman nor Zimmer will require the full slot recommendation. At this point, I'm tempted to go with a talented player that still fits in the top 6-8 draft prospects who will allow additional money to be freed up for falling high school players in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I prefer Gausman over Zimmer, but arguments can be made for either player and I wouldn't be distraught if one of them was our pick.

Stotle suggested that Correa could sign for less than 4.2 MM, and if the same could be said for Almora, that would make them even more valuable. Perhaps neither Gausman nor Zimmer will require the full slot recommendation. At this point, I'm tempted to go with a talented player that still fits in the top 6-8 draft prospects who will allow additional money to be freed up for falling high school players in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I do not see any reason why the Orioles should not be one of the league leaders in terms of money allocated to prospects. The Orioles need corner infield help moving forward. I am fine with a high upside pitchers that are closer to the majors, but I would really prefer Buxton, but I would bet my house that he wouldn't slip to us. By any accounts, the Orioles should be taking the guy who is most likely to make the biggest impact on the ML level. We should net be sacrificing the quality of player we take in the first 5 picks of the draft because we are thinking about additional rounds.

On a side note, when does that sandwhich pick type drawing start? The Orioles would have a real good shot at getting an additional top-50 pick based on how the article I read was portraying the process. The Orioles need all the help they can get because I think that our chance to draft in the top-10 overall will not occur over the next 4-6 years.

I do not see any reason why the Orioles should not be one of the league leaders in terms of money allocated to prospects. The Orioles need corner infield help moving forward. I am fine with a high upside pitchers that are closer to the majors, but I would really prefer Buxton, but I would bet my house that he wouldn't slip to us. By any accounts, the Orioles should be taking the guy who is most likely to make the biggest impact on the ML level. We should net be sacrificing the quality of player we take in the first 5 picks of the draft because we are thinking about additional rounds.

On a side note, when does that sandwhich pick type drawing start? The Orioles would have a real good shot at getting an additional top-50 pick based on how the article I read was portraying the process. The Orioles need all the help they can get because I think that our chance to draft in the top-10 overall will not occur over the next 4-6 years.

Based on the allotted bonus pools, if every team spends their full amount, the Orioles could be no better than 11th best in spending through the first 10 rounds. I never suggested the team should select a player who will sign for a small bonus. The point is, if the team views Gausman, Zimmer, Almora, Correa, etc. as equal or near equal in terms of future impact, I would hope that they go with the cheaper option to maximize the overall talent taken in the first few rounds.

Also, the lottery drawing starts in the 2013 draft, but I believe the picks will be awarded this July following the end of the signing period.

Based on the allotted bonus pools, if every team spends their full amount, the Orioles could be no better than 11th best in spending through the first 10 rounds. I never suggested the team should select a player who will sign for a small bonus. The point is, if the team views Gausman, Zimmer, Almora, Correa, etc. as equal or near equal in terms of future impact, I would hope that they go with the cheaper option to maximize the overall talent taken in the first few rounds.

Also, the lottery drawing starts in the 2013 draft, but I believe the picks will be awarded this July following the end of the signing period.

I got this, and it seems spot-on to me.

Archived