Have the Orioles hit their ceiling?

Frobby

It seems like the team has been hovering at 11-12 games over for about a week now. The bullpen has looked quite human in that stretch. I'm getting the feeling that this may be as good as it's going to get.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reimold, Reynolds, Britton and/or a trade could help re-energize us. Not to mention Wieters coming out of his slump. I'm fairly impressed with the offense so far. Davis in particular has surpassed my expectations. I think Matusz and Hammel are going to be pretty significant elements in preventing a slump and 1 or 2 other SP's will need to step up. I see the BP regressing more but not falling apart (hopefully).

It seems like the team has been hovering at 11-12 games over for about a week now. The bullpen has looked quite human in that stretch. I'm getting the feeling that this may be as good as it's going to get.

I would be happy if the O's went .500 from here. I am good with 86/87 wins with this flawed team.

I'm not ready to make any pronouncements about expectations for the rest of the season until I see the Orioles go through a bad period of play and then come out of it.

2-4 in six games, especially not when a couple of the losses were very narrow defeats, is not enough to make me think the team has stalled. I do think we could be in for a rough patch on this next road trip. I think how the team reacts to a first rough patch will be very informative of what our chances are to stay in the race.

There are going to be struggles with this roster. There are going to be bad weeks. I do still think we'll have about as many good weeks as bad weeks but we've also see plenty of teams in recent years (and not just the O's) play consistently until a very sudden wilting.

Have you been watching Jack Nicholson movies again?

Why would you make a pronouncement about he rest of the season now? The O's may win two out of three from KC and go now from there.

Reimold, Reynolds, Britton and/or a trade could help re-energize us. Not to mention Wieters coming out of his slump. I'm fairly impressed with the offense so far. Davis in particular has surpassed my expectations. I think Matusz and Hammel are going to be pretty significant elements in preventing a slump and 1 or 2 other SP's will need to step up. I see the BP regressing more but not falling apart (hopefully).

I agree with this. Good post

I think they have. All of our high leverage bullpen arms were not going to have career years, that had to normalize. The starting pitching is suspect, and we are quite lucky to have watched some winning baseball for almost two months. I still don't believe this team as constructed is a .500 team, and they will come down to earth by the end of June.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I love how everyone says this as if it's just a matter of time...as if there's no way the Matt Wieters we saw in about 240 ABs from August '11-April '12 is the exception, and the other some 850 ABs since 2010 the rule (I could add another 354 from his rookie year to the equation if I wanted to strengthen my argument, too).

I like Matt Wieters as much as the next guy, but the way he is overrated on this board is insane. (Orioles fans in general. I saw a poll on MASNsports.com a few weeks back asking if Matt Wieters has surpassed your expectations: more than 50% said yes. I never realized a career high OPS of .778 was well above our expectations for Wieters...I might've felt a lot more strange about all the hoop-la when he was coming in if I had known!)

I love how everyone says this as if it's just a matter of time...as if there's no way the Matt Wieters we saw in about 240 ABs from August '11-April '12 is the exception, and the other some 850 ABs since 2010 the rule (I could add another 354 from his rookie year to the equation if I wanted to strengthen my argument, too).

I like Matt Wieters as much as the next guy, but the way he is overrated on this board is insane. (Orioles fans in general. I saw a poll on MASNsports.com a few weeks back asking if Matt Wieters has surpassed your expectations: more than 50% said yes. I never realized a career high OPS of .778 was well above our expectations for Wieters...I might've felt a lot more strange about all the hoop-la when he was coming in if I had known!)

Wieters has been hitting .132 with an OPS of .477 over the last two weeks.

Yes, without attempting to stand on a soapbox similar, though not identical, to yours, Wieters coming out of what is obviously a "slump" would help the Orioles.

I swear...for every person who thinks Wieters is Christ's cousin, there's someone else who whines like Wieters stole his prom date.

I thought with SG gone that folks might stop just looking at what he does offensively. Wieters is generating the WAR I expected him to but his work with the glove is far superior to what I expected coming in. Are you telling me you thought he would take the Fielding Bible award away from Molina?

Why would you make a pronouncement about he rest of the season now? The O's may win two out of three from KC and go now from there.

Pretty clearly I'm not making any pronouncements. Just telling you my guy feeling. Regardless of what happens tomorrow.

I thought with SG gone that folks might stop just looking at what he does offensively. Wieters is generating the WAR I expected him to but his work with the glove is far superior to what I expected coming in. Are you telling me you thought he would take the Fielding Bible award away from Molina?

Okay, fine, his 5.0 WAR last year was best among catchers (.1 more than Aviles, .3 more than Molina) But his fielding stats were so far better, and account for such a high percentage of his ranking there, that you have to question how much WAR can really tell us here in terms of saying unequivocally one player is more valuable than another. If you could ask me if I'd take Matt Wieters in 2011 or Yadier Molina in 2011, I'd take Molina without hesitation, no matter what WAR says.

This year's WAR among C, FWIW:

1. Ellis: 2.4

2. Ruiz: 2.3

3. Molina: 2.2

4. Lucroy: 1.8

5. Pierzynski: 1.8

6. Mauer: 1.4

7. Wieters: 1.4

8. Posey: 1.3

9. Santana: 1.2

10. McCann: 1.0

I'd also take Posey's season so far over Wieters', no matter what WAR says.

Says the king of small samples.

Archived