Have the Orioles hit their ceiling?

Frobby

I know all the great teams have losing streaks. But this could be the beginning of the end. If we have another week much like this one we will be in last place and right where everyone thought we would be.

All the sportscasters will be full of "see I told you so".

Yuck.:(

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i know all the great teams have losing streaks. But this could be the beginning of the end. If we have another week much like this one we will be in last place and right where everyone thought we would be.

All the sportscasters will be full of "see i told you so".

Yuck.:(

pmsespn

It is sapping my morale. It is making me think "here we go again"

You know many of the players have to be feeling it a little bit also. Soon they will start playing real tight. Maybe they are already with the bonehead play by Tolleson getting thrown out at second and taking a run off the board and ending a promising inning. Guys trying to do too much.

It looks ugly out there.

I started a thread today about the first two months of the 2005 team, a team that had a great April, an ok May, then slid the rest of the way.

16-7 Apr (this year 14-9)

15-13 May (same as this year)

12-15 Jun

8-18 Jul

11-17 Aug

12-18 Sep/Oct

This feels like the point of the season where the O's start to solidify their hold on the basement.

It is sapping my morale. It is making me think "here we go again"

You know many of the players have to be feeling it a little bit also. Soon they will start playing real tight. Maybe they are already with the bonehead play by Tolleson getting thrown out at second and taking a run off the board and ending a promising inning. Guys trying to do too much.

It looks ugly out there.

The thing that worries me is that when a team struggles they also lose a game late with a lead, that is the thing (if we can get a lead) we have to avoid.

If Hideki Matsui was playing for us, hed be DFA'd already. Are organization is ****ty as **** can be.

So because Matsui hit his 2nd homer of the year tonight, that makes him the greatest bench acquisition ever by the Rays?

If Hideki Matsui was playing for us, hed be DFA'd already. Are organization is ****ty as **** can be.

Wat? He probably Should have been DFA'd already. He just happened to get his second hit (and also his second HR) off of us. Are organization is getting better, I do believe.

• 2 weeks later...

If the O's win tonight they will be 11 over again.

The Yankees seem to be trying to break away from the pack. However they are about to run into the Nats who have been playing well.

Its an interesting time to be scoreboard watching. Can the O's keep up the pace?

If the O's win tonight they will be 11 over again.

The Yankees seem to be trying to break away from the pack. However they are about to run into the Nats who have been playing well.

Its an interesting time to be scoreboard watching. Can the O's keep up the pace?

I'm REALLY glad that we got our first series with the Nats out of the way before they went on this tear. The Yanks have been playing extremely well lately, but the Nats have been unreal.

Honestly, if anything I'm really proud of the O's up to this point. When they started fading, it was very easy to say "Oh, there go the O's again". They managed to right the ship inexplicably and get right back into it. Hopefully they keep it up!

I'm not ready to say they've righted the ship yet. They were fortunate to win 2 games against PHI. They've played a bad Pirates offense. Now, if they sweep today I think that makes a nice statement. Winning 2 of 3, at home, against the Pirates is just what I expect. We've got the Braves, Mets and Nats coming up. We'll be seeing tougher competition.

I'm not ready to say they've righted the ship yet. They were fortunate to win 2 games against PHI. They've played a bad Pirates offense. Now, if they sweep today I think that makes a nice statement. Winning 2 of 3, at home, against the Pirates is just what I expect. We've got the Braves, Mets and Nats coming up. We'll be seeing tougher competition.

I say you don't make excuses for losses and you don't make excuses for wins. 6 of 8, 3 straight series wins. In that period you've played a first place team (with the same record coming in as the Braves and Mets), and two teams that won over 90 games last year and were (and by many, still are) expected to contend this year.

OK how about some stats about 2005, I'm tired of this comparison. Look at the pitching in 2005.

Look at the starters: Bedard got hurt in late May and when he came back threw to a 5.44 ERA. Ponson had showed he wasn't going to return to 2003 form with a 4.94 ERA in June. Lopez was already turning in a 4.50 ERA. On June 11 Cabrera had a 5.88 ERA.

Think about that bullpen: Reed/Dubose/Grimsley gave us 80 innings of 5+ ERA on the year. Julio was good until June 7 for the remainder of the year he logged 40 innings at a 8.8 ERA level. That's 120 innings of something like a 6+ ERA. I don't think our fringe guys like O'Day/Ayala/Patton, assuming you match Strop/Johnson to Ray/Ryan (who they are outperforming anyway).

The pitching actually allowed more runs in the first half of the year 409, than the second 391. That offense scored 729 runs. We're on pace to score 726 this year and I think we can all agree without our corner OFs this lineup isn't hardly what it's capacity looks like.

This team has a lot of upside to fill out. No I don't know if we've righted the ship. But this team is already comparably better in pitching, and on par with hitting to the 2005 team. We are definitely not that team.

Archived