Things have really Tightened Up in the A.L. East

OFFNY

Jays and Sox look to be dropping out of sight. I know it's a long season, but it might encourage them to throw in the towel and be sellers instead of buyers at the deadline.

I don't know what it'd take for the Jays to sell, but I'd bet my car that the Red Sox wouldn't unless they lose 90% of their games between now and the deadline. Boston's fans would make sure their FO never enjoyed another good night's sleep, otherwise.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what it'd take for the Jays to sell, but I'd bet my car that the Red Sox wouldn't unless they lose 90% of their games between now and the deadline. Boston's fans would make sure their FO never enjoyed another good night's sleep, otherwise.

It's new management, I could see it. Had this been the old regime, I would agree, but it's customary for new management to clean house.

Our Washington cousins have done us a real favor by sweeping the Red Sox and Jays over the last 6 days. Now if they can just do the same to the Yankees this weekend, we could be back in first place!

This is a bit off-topic, but I think it's pretty sad how little Nats gear I see around DC (I live downtown). I hope the O's demolish the Nats every time the two teams play, but you have to tip your cap to what the Nats have managed to put together.

This is a bit off-topic, but I think it's pretty sad how little Nats gear I see around DC (I live downtown). I hope the O's demolish the Nats every time the two teams play, but you have to tip your cap to what the Nats have managed to put together.

Two first overall picks and they manage to nab the best position and pitcher prospects in HISTORY. Threw ungodly amounts of cash at Jason Werth. Splurged on a one year deal for Edwin Jackson. Emptied the farm for Gio Gonzalez.

Harper, Werth and LaRoche are the only players hitting. If not for their rotation which they paid GOBS for, they'd have almost nothing.

Fortunately for them the NL is completely terrible this year.

Two first overall picks and they manage to nab the best position and pitcher prospects in HISTORY. Threw ungodly amounts of cash at Jason Werth. Splurged on a one year deal for Edwin Jackson. Emptied the farm for Gio Gonzalez.

Harper, Werth and LaRoche are the only players hitting. If not for their rotation which they paid GOBS for, they'd have almost nothing.

(Werth hasn't played in a game since May 6th)

And I'd say Gio is paying off pretty well...they gambled, and it's working (I thought he'd get destroyed away from Oakland). Regardless, without going too much in-depth on what should have been a harmless compliment (why do people always argue with me those few times I say nice things?), the Nats have lots and lots of players who aren't Gio, Edwin, Harper, etc. They wouldn't be where they are without the supporting pieces necessary to sustain winning.

Werth has been on the 60 day DL since early May...

Emptied the farm system?

The Nats farm system is still ranked in the top 10-12 in baseball.

Harper by himself was enough to put a team in the top half of all farm systems. I expected him to become a star player, but frankly, I never expected him to have a huge impact in 2012. .933 OPS at the age of 19? That is ridiculous. And he's getting better every day. Scary.

Archived