In which round is Ryan Ripken drafted?

For those with a lot more knowledge about the MLB draft, how much of a prospect in Ryan Ripken? Also, which round do you think he may be drafted? Is he a signability concern? Is his commitment to South Carolina real strong?

C. Neil Milton

For those with a lot more knowledge about the MLB draft, how much of a prospect in Ryan Ripken? Also, which round do you think he may be drafted? Is he a signability concern? Is his commitment to South Carolina real strong?

C. Neil Milton

Poll coming?

I guess the O's are "obligated" to draft this raw first baseman in a later round - but will they "waste" a pick early? Nice story but hope he goes to (BRob's) Gamecock country and develops his skill set.

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Article/Ripken-pledges-to-Carolina-47545

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2012/02/scouting-2012-draft-ryan-ripken.html

C. Neil Milton

I doubt he gets drafted. From what I heard, and I have to caveat this by saying I have not seen him personally, he's not good enough to get enough money that would offset going to South Carolina. If he does get drafted it will be after the 30th round when teams just start taking fliers on guys.

I doubt he gets drafted. From what I heard, and I have to caveat this by saying I have not seen him personally, he's not good enough to get enough money that would offset going to South Carolina. If he does get drafted it will be after the 30th round when teams just start taking fliers on guys.

If Angelos steps in and makes us draft him in the lower rounds, I think it would be one of the rare times where his meddling is just fine with me. I wouldn't try to buy him out of his college committment unless my scouts told me to do so, but I'd stick that Orioles tattoo on him just because he's a Ripken. That doesn't make sense from a baseball perspective, but I don't really care. lol

Under the old system, I'd expect Baltimore to pop him in the late teens. Under this system, I guess it could be around the same. I'd be surprised if they didn't pick him up in the early 20s considering his family's ties to the organization. In fact, if they don't draft him by the early 20s, I'd kind of take it as a slap in the face if I'm Cal (not saying HE will view it this way, but I certainly would).

If we pick him in the late teens is there any chance he signs? Ive seen him play and he has talent but is very very raw.

With an opportunity to play at South Carolina and coming from an incredibly wealthy family, I'd be stunned if $100K bought him out. Regardless of how he progresses at South Carolina, Baltimore will give him a chance to play pro ball. He has the chance to be a top 3-rounds kind of talent as he continues to grow and refine.

With an opportunity to play at South Carolina and coming from an incredibly wealthy family, I'd be stunned if $100K bought him out. Regardless of how he progresses at South Carolina, Baltimore will give him a chance to play pro ball. He has the chance to be a top 3-rounds kind of talent as he continues to grow and refine.

Agreed 100%

Think you still need to do the token low round flier on him, but he's going to school.

If we pick him in the late teens is there any chance he signs? Ive seen him play and he has talent but is very very raw.

So how does Cal Ripken's son end up a raw, unrefined talent?

His Father and an Uncle are former MLB players that run a baseball academy.

I would think there would be no end of available instruction if Ryan had desired it.

So how does Cal Ripken's son end up a raw, unrefined talent?

His Father and an Uncle are former MLB players that run a baseball academy.

I would think there would be no end of available instruction if Ryan had desired it.

Body type and mixed sports focus, along with heavy emphasis on academics?

Archived