Are we about to lose Steve Johnson?

Aglets

He was a minor league free agent. We resigned him. It was the carot that they dangled to us him as insurance and get him back in the fold in case we needed him. Then we got more pitchers. And he was good, so a dilemna

Ah, that's right. Forgot that he was already to that point. Thanks. That's much more common.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About Steve Johnson: As for the situation with Triple-A pitcher Steve Johnson, as of this morning, nothing has been resolved. The midnight deadline passed and now it appears that Johnson, through his agent, must declare today whether he is taking his out clause, which could lead to him leaving the organization.

If he does opt to take the out, the team could still respond then by either putting him on the 40-man roster or negotiating to keep him with the club while perhaps not putting him on the 40-man.

Johnson was activated off the DL and was set to pitch game two of a doubleheader last night. He had warmed up when the game was rained out, so now he is scheduled to pitch tomorrow for Norfolk - if he is still an Oriole then.

If you think this thing is dragging out a bit, you are probably right. Maybe the team wanted to see him pitch last night so he could prove his groin injury is behind him. Either way, this situation is not over yet.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/06/baseball-americas-jim-callis-talks-about-dylan-bundy.html

How in the heck did he get an opt out clause? Maybe that's the kind of thing you'd see with a Bundy who had A+++ talent and real leverage by threatening to go to college. But Johnson was a 13th-round pick who's never been on anybody's top prospect lists. He must have one heck of an agent. He's literally the only random minor leaguer I've ever heard of having this kind of deal prior to his six-year minor free agency.[/quote

Drungo,

To say Steve Johnson is a random minor leaguer is way off base. I am familiar with him because I know his dad. He was given a bonus equivilent to a 5th round pick. He also was a top ten prospect with the Dodgers according to Scout.com and a top 15 with Baseball America. He was picked by the pitching rich world champion Giants in the rule 5 draft the year they won the series. Add to that he strikes out guys at a high rate and gives up less hits than innings pitched. That is not a random minor leaguer. The Orioles may find out, like some experts on this board, that they just don't see his talent, while other teams with a history of winning do. This kid didn't ask to be traded here. He has wanted to be an Oriole since was a little guy. Just like his dad. I hope he gets to prove it to the Orioles, if not, somebody else will give him the chance he has EARNED. I don't know who his agent is, but he did the right thing negotiating the out. Now its time for the Orioles to make a move. Good Luck Steve. We are rooting for you.

How in the heck did he get an opt out clause? Maybe that's the kind of thing you'd see with a Bundy who had A+++ talent and real leverage by threatening to go to college. But Johnson was a 13th-round pick who's never been on anybody's top prospect lists. He must have one heck of an agent. He's literally the only random minor leaguer I've ever heard of having this kind of deal prior to his six-year minor free agency.[/quote

Drungo,

To say Steve Johnson is a random minor leaguer is way off base. I am familiar with him because I know his dad. He was given a bonus equivilent to a 5th round pick. He also was a top ten prospect with the Dodgers according to Scout.com and a top 15 with Baseball America. He was picked by the pitching rich world champion Giants in the rule 5 draft the year they won the series. Add to that he strikes out guys at a high rate and gives up less hits than innings pitched. That is not a random minor leaguer. The Orioles may find out, like some experts on this board, that they just don't see his talent, while other teams with a history of winning do. This kid didn't ask to be traded here. He has wanted to be an Oriole since was a little guy. Just like his dad. I hope he gets to prove it to the Orioles, if not, somebody else will give him the chance he has EARNED. I don't know who his agent is, but he did the right thing negotiating the out. Now its time for the Orioles to make a move. Good Luck Steve. We are rooting for you.

Read two posts down. Drungo wasn't aware he was re-signed as a minor league free agent.

Otherwise, your pot-shots at the O's are petty.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mqdxix

The Orioles have played Steve kinda fast and loose this whole time. Exposing him for the rule 5. Not putting him on the 40 man now. But I think we like him but just not enough to risk losing the guys we already have.

I think we are trying to win the pennant and they dont think he is more important than the Eveland types. Maybe they are right but I still would like to see Steve get a shot here.

And Duquette has zero invested in Steve. So its going to be interesting how this plays out.

Jim,

He called Steve a random minor leaguer. I defended that. No pot shots at anybody. Just a few comments. Sorry if I offended you.

At draft time? He absolutely was. Like I said, read more closely. Two posts down he says that a deal like that for a minor league free agent is common. You took shots at the O's and posters on this board ("experts"). It was cheep. I won't root against Steve, but your posts don't help.

At draft time? He absolutely was. Like I said, read more closely. Two posts down he says that a deal like that for a minor league free agent is common. You took shots at the O's and posters on this board ("experts"). It was cheep. I won't root against Steve, but your posts don't help.

Or "cheap." ugh.

Jim,

He called Steve a random minor leaguer. I defended that. No pot shots at anybody. Just a few comments. Sorry if I offended you.

Both Dave and Steve great guys. I obviously root for Steve to succeed. So are both Drungo and Lucky, Drungo was just dumbfounded that someone not drafted in the top ten picks of the draft was able to get an out clause included in his initial contract. I simply pointed out to him that Steve had chosen to resign with the Orioles and it was part of his deal.

The Orioles have played Steve kinda fast and loose this whole time. Exposing him for the rule 5. Not putting him on the 40 man now. But I think we like him but just not enough to risk losing the guys we already have.

I think we are trying to win the pennant and they dont think he is more important than the Eveland types. Maybe they are right but I still would like to see Steve get a shot here.

And Duquette has zero invested in Steve. So its going to be interesting how this plays out.

The whole situation of the business of baseball has Dave tied up in knots over the opportunity that gets afforded his son. It is a very tough world and I am aware of some situations that would make the Johnson family concerned that the Orioles have Steve's best interests at heart. That said, baseball is a business and the Orioles have done a poor job of running their business well enough to succeed on the field. I am glad that it appears that the new management is focused on improvement.

Both Dave and Steve great guys. I obviously root for Steve to succeed. So are both Drungo and Lucky, Drungo was just dumbfounded that someone not drafted in the top ten picks of the draft was able to get an out clause included in his initial contract. I simply pointed out to him that Steve had chosen to resign with the Orioles and it was part of his deal.
The whole situation of the business of baseball has Dave tied up in knots over the opportunity that gets afforded his son. It is a very tough world and I am aware of some situations that would make the Johnson family concerned that the Orioles have Steve's best interests at heart. That said, baseball is a business and the Orioles have done a poor job of running their business well enough to succeed on the field. I am glad that it appears that the new management is focused on improvement.

Yeah. I'm sympathetic to all of this, I really am. But the problems w/ these situations on the board occur when folks pit the player against the organization. The "experts" line, the "pitching rich" Giants, the references to the Orioles losing ways...that's not well-directed to curry favor.

I've been something of a Johnson-doubter over the last couple years, I confess. But I'm definitely not rooting against him. As soon as he's able to provide MLB value, I hope he gets the opportunity.

Archived