Let's Give Chris Davis Some Credit

Brendan25

I have a feeling that alot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but I think that Davis could become a huge piece to this team in the future. I really, really like the guy. His stats for the season.

BA: .306

OBP: .343

SLG: .510

HR: 8

SO: 48

BB: 7

Obviously the guy needs to be more patient. He needs to walk more and stop swinging at balls out of the zone. However, Davis is 26 years old, this is his first FULL season starting in the major leagues. There are 20 players ahead of him in strikeouts in the league (including Rickie Weeks, Curtis Granderson, Adam Dunn, Dan Uggla, Nelson Cruz, and the player everyone wants to trade for Chase Headley).

I don't think that Davis is going to cut down on his strikeouts a ton, but I really do think that he could become the #5 hitter in this lineup for a very long time. I think he hits above Wieters before it's all said and done. And I am not saying that because Wieters is in a slump. That is purely based off of Davis.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a feeling that alot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but I think that Davis could become a huge piece to this team in the future. I really, really like the guy. His stats for the season.

BA: .306

OBP: .343

SLG: .510

HR: 8

SO: 48

BB: 7

Obviously the guy needs to be more patient. He needs to walk more and stop swinging at balls out of the zone. However, Davis is 26 years old, this is his first FULL season starting in the major leagues. There are 20 players ahead of him in strikeouts in the league (including Rickie Weeks, Curtis Granderson, Adam Dunn, Dan Uggla, Nelson Cruz, and the player everyone wants to trade for Chase Headley).

I don't think that Davis is going to cut down on his strikeouts a ton, but I really do think that he could become the #5 hitter in this lineup for a very long time. I think he hits above Wieters before it's all said and done. And I am not saying that because Wieters is in a slump. That is purely based off of Davis.

I would definitely like to see us upgrade the 1st base position. I don't think Davis is the answer, but he sure seems to be better than anyone else we've had there over the last few years.

He's pleaseantly surprised me. I thought he'd be toast by now. Gotta give him credit. The patience and consistency of AB's has been touched on, but offensively he's been about as good as one could have hoped for I think.

I would definitely like to see us upgrade the 1st base position. I don't think Davis is the answer, but he sure seems to be better than anyone else we've had there over the last few years.

Who is a better option that makes sense at 1B for this team?

I would love to see Davis excel. If he can improve his patience and fielding it would be great. I didn't like Andino 2 years ago, and half of last year but he has consistently improved into an a prety good hitter. If Davis can do that also then I think he could be the answer for us at 1st.

Plus I like to look at consistancy. Look at Andino in April/May. Look at Wieters in April/May.

April: .310 - .356 - .563 - 4 HR

May: .302 - .330 - .465 - 4 HR

He has struck out more in May then April

Andino:

Split          G GS  PA AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS BAbipApril/March   21 21  77 74  9 23  3  1  1   6  0  1  3 18 .311 .338 .419 .757  .400May           26 26 113 99 10 22  3  0  2   8  2  1 11 31 .222 .306 .313 .619  .303

March / April > May

Wieters:

Split          G GS  PA AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS TBApril/March   20 19  77 68  8 19  2  0  6  15  0  0  8 13 .279 .364 .574 .937 39May           24 23 104 91 16 18  5  1  2   7  0  0 10 22 .198 .288 .341 .629 31

March / April > May

Davis:

Split          G GS PA AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+April/March   21 21 78 71  9 22  6  0  4  12  0  1  6 18 .310 .359 .563 .922 40   0   0  0  1   1   0  .360   115   156May           22 22 91 86 13 26  2  0  4   9  0  2  1 28 .302 .330 .465 .795 40   3   3  0  1   0   0  .400    87   118

Davis has been one of our most consistant players

I wouldn't mind seeing Mark Reynolds and Chris Davis do a 1B-DH position swap, ala Eddie Murray and Lee May in 1978 (that was a different situation, as Lee May was getting up there in age, and we pretty much needed to put Eddie in there as the long-term heir apparent, but I couldn't resist the reference :D).

I don't think that Reynolds is that much better of a defensive first baseman than is Davis, but even if he is only a little better, then I don't see why we shouldn't at least try it, like we did last season when Reynolds played there for 44 games.

Wow. Tough crowd. The guy is making 488K this year, yet his production is comparable (not better, but comparable) to Prince Fielder and Mark Texiera. Is a great 1b? No. Does he draw enough walks? Not really. But c'mon. Everybody wants an All-Star 1B, but you can't have an All-Star 1b and Adam Jones and Nick Markakis and JJ Hardy and a Matt Wieters extension... not if you're the Orioles.

Those unhappy with Davis, who do you want in his stead? Tex or Prince? Geesh. Dream on.

Wow. Tough crowd. The guy is making 488K this year, yet his production is comparable (not better, but comparable) to Prince Fielder and Mark Texiera. Is a great 1b? No. Does he draw enough walks? Not really. But c'mon. Everybody wants an All-Star 1B, but you can't have an All-Star 1b and Adam Jones and Nick Markakis and JJ Hardy and a Matt Wieters extension... not if you're the Orioles.

Those unhappy with Davis, who do you want in his stead? Tex or Prince? Geesh. Dream on.

I said that I think he's better than anything we've had over the last few years. Then again, a below-average production player would be better than what we've gotten out of first base the last few years.

I'm open to Davis being our first baseman for a long time. I'm just not sold on it, though. I think he will wind up being a .260/.310/.450 type of player. Those numbers aren't horrible...just not very good for a first baseman.

He's light years ahead of Wigginton and the other dregs we've been putting there, and at 26 with his production and minors numbers, I'm happy penciling him there for the foreseeable future.

Walk rate can improve, and his K rate is already getting better.

Archived