Let's Give Chris Davis Some Credit

Brendan25

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis' production is fine for right now. However, I see some hints of regression to come. It will be pretty hard to sustain a .300+ AVG with a K-rate over 27% and a relatively high FB-rate. Regress that AVG down to the .270-.280 area and you see how troublesome his ~4-5% walk rate is. I have no problem with plugging him in every day for now, but he hasn't yet addressed his weaknesses (poor plate discipline, low BB-rate, mediocre defense) enough to convince me he's a long term solution.

He could. As his AVG inevitably falls some (assuming no drastic improvement in contact rate), I'd like to see him compensate with some walks.

Meh, all his hits come in meaningless situations it seems and strikes out a lot in important situiations. Like nearly half his K's are with runners on base. But he is what he is. It's frustrating to see him strikeout so much but it's expected.

I doubt he'll be able to sustain this, but even if he hovers around an .800 OPS he has value, considering what he makes. Personally, I'm thrilled with his production. He's not going to carry this team on his back, but he's good enough that we can use our resources for bigger needs: third base, the rotation, and maybe left field.

I didn't expect anything from Davis this year, I wasn't impressed at all last year. I'm pretty happy so far.

Of course he's got his faults, but as alluded to earlier....what do you want for 488k? No one hyped him to be a superstar.

This. It's hard to be anything but happy with what Davis has done so far. If we had a poll up before the year started predicting the OPS of Chris Davis at the end of May, what percentage of us would be under right now?

This. It's hard to be anything but happy with what Davis has done so far. If we had a poll up before the year started predicting the OPS of Chris Davis at the end of May, what percentage of us would be under right now?

How many of us would have said that he would DROP balls thrown right at his glove, and not be able to scoop anything in the dirt to help the infielders out?

I like Davis a ton, but he absolutely stinks at first. I would keep him at DH where he can't hurt anybody!

How many of us would have said that he would DROP balls thrown right at his glove, and not be able to scoop anything in the dirt to help the infielders out?

I like Davis a ton, but he absolutely stinks at first. I would keep him at DH where he can't hurt anybody!

I agree completely .........

I would keep him at DH where he can't hurt anybody!

........ although, I DO hope that he at least hurts the opposing pitchers at DH. :laughlol:

Archived