Let's Give Chris Davis Some Credit

Brendan25

The legend of Chris Davis continues to grow.

He's done two things this year I've never seen before - a relief win from a DH / 1b pitching 2 shutout innings and a broken bat Home Run tonight.

Pretty cool stuff.

With a 91 mph fast ball with sink.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a 91 mph fast ball with sink.

Yes - seriously. Isn't it nice to know you're basically carrying an extra pitcher in Davis? Not just an emergency pitcher for pure mop up duty, but a guy who apparently has the stuff to actually get people out?

Yes - seriously. Isn't it nice to know you're basically carrying an extra pitcher in Davis? Not just an emergency pitcher for pure mop up duty, but a guy who apparently has the stuff to actually get people out?

I think Chris Davis said he hopes he never ever has to pitch again.

I'd surprised if he ever did.

But I get what you're saying. :)

Do you really think there's more than a 5% chance that Davis could ever replicate that?

I have appreciated Chris Davis' contributions so far, but looking at his .389 BABIP right now and I got to think he's gonna regress soon.

Isn't is also possible that the guy has finally figured out how to hit at the major league level and is simply performing to his career minor league slash line of .318/.375/.597 ?

We've seen guys figure out how to hit later in their career than Davis. Batista and Werth both come to mind, both of whom were O's players at one point. Given that Davis had far better minor league numbers than either of those guys, what's to say Davis can't become a .300 / .350 / .550 guy for the O's especially since he's only 26 and that's when most major league players begin to come into own as hitters?

I'm thinking Davis has a shot to hit 40 HR given his amazing power.

Do you really think there's more than a 5% chance that Davis could ever replicate that?

Apparently Buck's had his eye on Davis as a pitcher for several years (since they were in Texas) - so Davis was impressive enough to make an impression on Buck. I don't think Buck will hesitate to use him again at some point this year if the need arises, and I'll have a lot more confidence in Davis getting people out than say, Darnell McDonald.

Apparently Buck's had his eye on Davis as a pitcher for several years (since they were in Texas) - so Davis was impressive enough to make an impression on Buck.

Do you have a link for this? That seems odd, as Davis' first year in the Texas org was 2006 and that was Buck's last year. Is it your take that Buck developed an idea about Davis pitching while he was a 1st year position player in low-A ball?

Do you have a link for this? That seems odd, as Davis' first year in the Texas org was 2006 and that was Buck's last year. Is it your take that Buck developed an idea about Davis pitching while he was a 1st year position player in low-A ball?

I remember Roch Kubatko or someone else reporting that Buck first got the idea for using Davis as a reliever during his last year at Texas. I don't know the details, but maybe someone else can remember them.

I remember Roch Kubatko or someone else reporting that Buck first got the idea for using Davis as a reliever during his last year at Texas. I don't know the details, but maybe someone else can remember them.

I don't remember the details either but this was definitely what was said when Davis pitched.

Predictions on where the broken bat homer winds up on Sportscenter tonite? I'm thinking top 5.

The really cool thing was his first concern was for his teammates. He quickly looked into the dugout before rounding the bases. He mentioned it also in postgame. Dude is a good guy and my money says he becoming a really good player. He's also a physical specimen. We need guys like that.

You have to enjoy the ride with him. Even though his high BABIP makes you think he'll come back to earth somewhat, his power has always been there. I'd much rather have him than someone like Mark Reynolds for the long term. He's streaking right now, which makes it easy to be high on him again, but even with that streakiness, I think he can produce in the 5/6 hole long-term for the O's behind guys like Hardy, Markakis, Jones and Wieters. We don't need him to be a .300 hitter or a triple crown threat, he just needs to be able to drive in runs and solidify they middle/back end of our lineup when everyone is healthy. Not a bad player to have in exchange for a middle reliever.

Archived