Law now has us with Correa

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2012/story/_/id/7982412/mark-appel-goes-no-1-houston-astros-mock-draft-20-mlb

ESPN Insider article, so here are a couple of snippets.

Six days to go until the draft, which takes place June 4-6, and we still don't know who's going first overall. Here's my best estimate for the first round as of Tuesday afternoon, as always based on intelligence gleaned from baseball sources about each team's preferences.

At the moment, I don't have a team taking California prep right-hander Lucas Giolito, who missed most of the spring with a minor elbow sprain, but I wouldn't interpret that to mean he won't go in the first round. (I had the Mariners taking him at No. 3 overall in my first mock draft, but I'm now hearing Seattle is no longer interested.) In the next few days, front offices will meet with their respective team doctors to discuss the medical reports of the top prospects, and we'll have a much better sense of where Giolito will go once that process is complete. Until then, I can't predict which team will take him, but he could easily end up in the top 15 picks once his elbow checks out.

Baltimore Orioles

Carlos Correa, SS, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy

The O's want the best player available, period. They've been adamant about that all spring, and given the lack of depth in their system, it makes sense. I could also see Kyle Zimmer or Kevin Gausman here, and I've heard Albert Almora mentioned recently as well.

I like the pick we should be accumulating the best talent. When they are ready for the majors then we can decide what to do. Always been a fan of the best player available method.

If this is about BPA, we must at least be considering Giolito, right?

If this is about BPA, we must at least be considering Giolito, right?

According to Keith Law Giolito has injury concerns because of his elbow sprain. Law actually didn't even have him taken in his newest mock draft. But I am sure the Orioles have to be considering him because of his seventy fastball, sixty curveball and potential change up development. He pretty much is the wildcard of the draft. I can't see him going past the first round as somebody will take a flyer on him.

I'm just going out with what the experts say. I'm not a scout or anything but from what I read they said that Correa has as much upside as anyone else in the draft. Now that also means he could easily become a bust. But your not going to with the AL East with league average players. You need studs. I wouldn't mind us drafting Buxton if he drops.

Source: ESPN

I have to wonder how much of this is posturing by all sides. Why would Gioloto be throwing for anyone if he was dead set on going to UCLA? Why would teams pump him up publicly if he's trying to set a high price? I bet someone takes him pretty high and dares him to walk away. That might be in the 5-9 range, but I wouldn't rule a top 4 team out.

I have to wonder how much of this is posturing by all sides. Why would Gioloto be throwing for anyone if he was dead set on going to UCLA? Why would teams pump him up publicly if he's trying to set a high price? I bet someone takes him pretty high and dares him to walk away. That might be in the 5-9 range, but I wouldn't rule a top 4 team out.

Josh Bell was dead set to go to college as well. (The good Josh Bell)

Odds would have been better then he signed before the new CBA. Someone is going to have to be willing to gamble pretty much their whole budget on him.

I'm sold on Correa. He is a big kid.

Totally unfair for me to vase an opinion on one video, but that bat speed was more impressive than I saw from Machado in high school. Correa looks much stronger for the same age. I could get on board with him very quickly.

Teenage power-hitting shortstop logjams certainly aren't the worst problems in the world, especially given how often they move to 2B/3B. Maybe Machado isn't a perfect ML shortstop, maybe Correa isn't -- if they both reach the majors and hit like all-stars, I don't care if one of them isn't at short. I'd love to have this kid in our system.

Correa is not projected to stick at SS, so it's highly unlikely that Minnesota drafts with need in mind. They may take Correa because he may project as the best player in the draft, but they almost certainly won't expect him to play SS in the majors once he fills out.

Zunino is a nice prospect but at this point I haven't seen him linked to Houston by Law, Callis, Manuel, etc. I don't really see things working out as you suggest. If I had to guess, I'd say Appel goes first followed by one of Correa/Buxton to MIN, Correa/Buxton to SEA, and Gausman to Baltimore.

Archived