For S+Gs: Best Team Possible

luismatos4prez

Bored, let me know what you think:

Rules:

-Money is not an issue

-Bench guys have to be reasonable, like I couldn't have Miguel Cabrera on my bench

SS Elvis Andrus

2B Robinson Cano

CF Josh Hamilton

DH Joey Votto

1B Albert Pujols

LF Ryan Braun

RF Giancarlo Stanton

3B Mike Moustakas

C Matt Wieters

Kelly Shoppach

Robert Andino

Macier Izturis

Josh Reddick

SP Justin Verlander

SP Doc Halladay

SP Gio Gonzalez

SP King Felix

SP Zack Greinke

Aroldis Chapman

Tyler Clippard

Vinnie Pestano

Alexi Ogando

Scott Atchison

Koji Uehara

CL Chris Sale

Are you trying to win THIS year, or for five years, or for ten years, or what? Because the answers will drastically change with your response.

Either way, Elvis Andrus, I can't co-sign under any circumstances. Tulo or nothing.

I'm not entirely sure what your goal is either. Best team possible, but you went with Moustakas over Longoria or Zimmerman? I know both have had injury issues this season, but they're the class of the league imo. I'd probably shift Hamilton over to LF to put Kemp in CF. Might even try Braun or Cabrera in RF over Stanton, though I'm not sure how they would play there.

My rotation would be Verlander, Kershaw, Hamels, Felix, Strasburg. Though I definitely don't dislike yours.

As others have said, Tulo is a must at SS.

Johnson needs to be in the Pen.

Hmm... if I were to do it again I would put Kemp in CF and Hamilton in LF. The first time around, I didn't even consider the fact that Hamilton plays left now. I just marked him down as my CF and moved on.

And I stand by Elvis Andrus completely. I didn't even consider Tulo. My reasoning was defense at shortstop is vitally important for a team. One of the most important attributes a team can have imo. A shortstop with great range, soft hands, and a strong, accurate arm is what I was looking for. I see that in Andrus and I don't see it in Tulowitzki. I don't know what UZR says about them, but I've watched both play in enough games to make a judgement, and I see an above average defender in Tulowitzki and an excellent one in Andrus. Tulowitzki is an excellent hitter though, much better than Andrus, but I think my lineup with Hamilton, Votto, and Pujols... and now Matt Kemp... can survive with a 750 OPSer like I see Andrus as in it. I felt like that was the best option for the team overall.

I'd also edit it to put JJ in as my setup guy, embarrassed that I missed an obvious Oriole.

For Longoria vs Moustakas: I could take either. I see them both being 850 OPS guys give or take some luck and both great defenders. I feel like our perception of Longoria is skewed since it feels like he hits 3 homers ever series against the Orioles. Longoria is a slightly better hitter and Moustakas is a slightly better fielder in my eyes though, so I went with the same logic as above.

Edit: I just looked up the UZR ratings and it looks like they love Tulowitzki. That makes me think maybe I have the wrong impression of him. Can you guys vouch for his defense being as excellent as UZR says it is?

Hmm... if I were to do it again I would put Kemp in CF and Hamilton in LF. The first time around, I didn't even consider the fact that Hamilton plays left now. I just marked him down as my CF and moved on.

And I stand by Elvis Andrus completely. I didn't even consider Tulo. My reasoning was defense at shortstop is vitally important for a team. One of the most important attributes a team can have imo. A shortstop with great range, soft hands, and a strong, accurate arm is what I was looking for. I see that in Andrus and I don't see it in Tulowitzki. I don't know what UZR says about them, but I've watched both play in enough games to make a judgement, and I see an above average defender in Tulowitzki and an excellent one in Andrus. Tulowitzki is an excellent hitter though, much better than Andrus, but I think my lineup with Hamilton, Votto, and Pujols... and now Matt Kemp... can survive with a 750 OPSer like I see Andrus as in it. I felt like that was the best option for the team overall.

I'd also edit it to put JJ in as my setup guy, embarrassed that I missed an obvious Oriole.

For Longoria vs Moustakas: I could take either. I see them both being 850 OPS guys give or take some luck and both great defenders. I feel like our perception of Longoria is skewed since it feels like he hits 3 homers ever series against the Orioles. Longoria is a slightly better hitter and Moustakas is a slightly better fielder in my eyes though, so I went with the same logic as above.

Edit: I just looked up the UZR ratings and it looks like they love Tulowitzki. That makes me think maybe I have the wrong impression of him. Can you guys vouch for his defense being as excellent as UZR says it is?

Tulo is regarded as an excellent fielder. Tulo > Andrus by a wide margin.

Without bothering with the bench or pen...

SS Elvis Andrus <<<< Tulo

2B Robinson Cano

CF Josh Hamilton <<<< Hamilton is LF, I'd take Kemp at CF

DH Joey Votto

1B Albert Pujols

LF Ryan Braun

RF Giancarlo Stanton <<<< give me Jose Bautista

3B Mike Moustakas <<<< Really? I'd take Zimmerman, Hanley, David Wright, Freese, Sandoval, Beltre, or Longoria all over Moose.

C Matt Wieters <<<< Posey

SP Justin Verlander

SP Doc Halladay

SP Gio Gonzalez <<<< Kershaw

SP King Felix

SP Zack Greinke <<<< Strasburg

Without bothering with the bench or pen...

SS Elvis Andrus <<<< Tulo

2B Robinson Cano

CF Josh Hamilton <<<< Hamilton is LF, I'd take Kemp at CF

DH Joey Votto

1B Albert Pujols

LF Ryan Braun

RF Giancarlo Stanton <<<< give me Jose Bautista

3B Mike Moustakas <<<< Really? I'd take Zimmerman, Hanley, David Wright, Freese, Sandoval, Beltre, or Longoria all over Moose.

C Matt Wieters <<<< Posey

SP Justin Verlander

SP Doc Halladay

SP Gio Gonzalez <<<< Kershaw

SP King Felix

SP Zack Greinke <<<< Strasburg

Very strongly disagree with Bautista. He's not a good fielder. Stanton is easily and he's a 900 OPS guy easily too. Bautista clearly has the potential to put up better numbers but like I mentioned above, this team has plenty of offense and I want a fundamentally strong defensive team.

Enough people disagree with me so I guess I'm wrong about Tulo. I concede defeat there. I had no idea he was so well regarded defensively.

Despite Wieters' awful slump right now, I'd still take him over Posey. Posey can't sniff Wieters' jock as a defender and I'm not convinced he's a significantly better hitter either.

Moustakas is a significantly better defender than Hanley, Freese, Beltre, and Wright. I'd need to see Zimmerman get his bat back before I put him on this team. I consider it a toss up between Longoria, Sandoval, and Moustakas. I guess I'm kind of looking into the future with Moustakas since he isn't as proven as the others. I really like his glove, but Longoria and the Panda are no slouches themselves and better hitters. I'll concede that I went too far with the defense first philosophy there.

I stand by my rotation completely though. Greinke is absolutely better than Strasburg today, and Gio Gonzalez is unreal this year. Every single start.

Very strongly disagree with Bautista. He's not a good fielder. Stanton is easily and he's a 900 OPS guy easily too. Bautista clearly has the potential to put up better numbers but like I mentioned above, this team has plenty of offense and I want a fundamentally strong defensive team.

Enough people disagree with me so I guess I'm wrong about Tulo. I concede defeat there. I had no idea he was so well regarded defensively.

Despite Wieters' awful slump right now, I'd still take him over Posey. Posey can't sniff Wieters' jock as a defender and I'm not convinced he's a significantly better hitter either.

Moustakas is a significantly better defender than Hanley, Freese, Beltre, and Wright. I'd need to see Zimmerman get his bat back before I put him on this team. I consider it a toss up between Longoria, Sandoval, and Moustakas. I guess I'm kind of looking into the future with Moustakas since he isn't as proven as the others. I really like his glove, but Longoria and the Panda are no slouches themselves and better hitters. I'll concede that I went too far with the defense first philosophy there.

I stand by my rotation completely though. Greinke is absolutely better than Strasburg today, and Gio Gonzalez is unreal this year. Every single start.

Let me first say that I thought you did a pretty good job on the initial list!

Bautista vs. Stanton is a fair argument. RF is an offensive position and both of those guys can rake. I could go either way here.

At C, I don't think Wieters is the best catcher in baseball. Posey, Napoli, McCann, and probably Santana are clearly better hitters. On the defensive side, Molina is as good as Wieters and has been a better hitter the past two years. Overall I'd still go with Posey or possibly McCann at catcher. Wieters I'm not sold on his hitting yet.

You think Moustakas is a better fielding third baseman than Beltre, a 3-time gold glover with a career +20 dWAR at 3B? I think you'd be hard pressed to find many that agree. I put a list out, but if I had to choose one I'd probably say Beltre is the best 3rd baseman in baseball right now.

We can debate the rotation, and there are still a lot of guys that can make a case not on our lists (Cain? Hamels? Weaver?). I think Kershaw has better stuff and far better command than Gio. Strasburg has dominated the league ever since he came into it at a far higher clip than Greinke ever did (and in weaker divisions, too).

Archived