Miguel Gonzalez Tonight

OFFNY

Posted this in another thread. Here is an article from Albert Chen at SI.com.

The new Oriole Way: Baltimore at forefront of game's global growth

Here are some excerpts regarding Gonzalez.

... but the organization has begun to add some intriguing international talent, from a 26-year-old from Kaoshiung, Taiwan who has quickly emerged as one of the Orioles' best starters to a 28-year-old pitcher from Guadalajara, Mexico who could be Baltimore's secret weapon down the stretch this season.

It was January 2012, and a 28-year-old right-handed pitcher named Miguel Gonzalez was on the mound in a Mexican League game. The Shark, watching from the stands, saw him throw nine pitches and "every one of the nine is exactly where he wants the ball to be," he recalled.

The Shark decided that nine pitches were all he needed to see, and he convinced the Orioles to sign him to a minor league deal. Gonzalez impressed in spring training at Sarasota, he dominated at Triple-A Norfolk (allowing two runs in 30 innings as a reliever, with 35 strikeouts and just six walks), then made his major league debut in late May -- he struck out five in 3 1/3 innings against the Blue Jays -- and made a second appearance against the Red Sox and allowed two hits and one run over four innings.

Last week the Orioles sent him back down to Norfolk, where they planned to stretch him out as a starter. Orioles manager Buck Showalter left open the possibility of Gonzalez joining the rotation later this season.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some excerpts regarding Gonzalez.

Great article! Thanks for sharing. This makes me so happy about the front office. Why haven't we been doing this for the past 30 years! Honestly, I can't remember the Orioles being players in the international market ever... and I was 3 years old during the '79 World Series.

The next couple starts will be REALLY big for Gonzales. If he's good, he'll be called up and put into the rotation. I have my fingers crossed for him.

Great article! Thanks for sharing. This makes me so happy about the front office. Why haven't we been doing this for the past 30 years! Honestly, I can't remember the Orioles being players in the international market ever... and I was 3 years old during the '79 World Series.

The next couple starts will be REALLY big for Gonzales. If he's good, he'll be called up and put into the rotation. I have my fingers crossed for him.

It's the same way we got Rodrigo Lopez and Alfredo Simon. The Orioles were in on Chen under MacPhail. We signed Kojii two years ago.

Good points. I'm obviously blinded by DD. He's just so daggone handsome. If we would have gotten Soler, I'd really be singing the praises of the FO. Too bad.

The point, in the end, is simply that Gonzalez, Chen, et al., are not really evidence of any change. Which isn't to say change hasn't occurred, obviously.

Here's another excerpt from this excellent article:

The Shark is 75 now, but in his latest gig with the Orioles, he's on the road as often as ever, in Latin America, mostly

Remember all the snark at the time when Duquette hired The Shark and a few others that the Warehouse was turning into an old folks' home?

Funny how we don't hear much of that anymore.

Here's another excerpt from this excellent article:

Remember all the snark at the time when Duquette hired The Shark and a few others that the Warehouse was turning into an old folks' home?

Funny how we don't hear much of that anymore.

SG has left the premises.....;)

MIGUEL GONZALEZ O(vs. INDIANS 7/01)

IP:O 4.33 *

H:o. 4

R:O. 1

BB:. 3

SO:. 5

Pitches: 82 (50 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.31

* Gonzalez entered the game with runners on first and second with nobody out in the 5th inning.

MIGUEL GONZALEZ O(vs. ANGELS 7/06) *

IP:O 7

H:o. 3

R:O. 1

BB:. 2

SO:. 6

Pitches: 100 (66 Strikes, 34 Balls)

2012 ERA: 1.93

* Although Gonzalez has already pitched 3 games in the major leagues earlier this season, this was his MLB debut as a starting pitcher.

Archived