Some New Information About The Draft

Reading numerous comments from various baseball people around the country and interpreting comments from the press in each town drafting ahead of us. I'm comfortable that Appel will go #1 and the feeling is the Twins will go for pitching because it's their biggest need. Gausman is the 2nd best pitcher from what I can tell although some like Zimmer better. Seattle could decide that Correa is another AROD type player and take him over Zunino. This is a tough pick. If they take Correa we would still have Buxton available to pick at #4.

Video of Mark Appel interview

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2012/story/_/id/7971111/stanford-pitcher-mark-appel-houston-astros-match-mlb-draft

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keith Law a few hours ago is saying Seattle will pick Zunino with their 3rd pick which is what I said. Minnesota should take Gausman but could take Correa. Either way we will still have to decide between the one they don't take either Gausman or Correa or Buxton. I'm staying with Buxton as our #4 pick.

If Law is right and Zunino goes to Seattle I could actually see Buxton to the O's happening. It'd make me kind of happy, though I've gotten all excited about Correa and Gausman already and haven't bothered getting excited about Buxton yet, so I'd have some catching up to do.

Even if Buxton is available I would take Correa or Almora at #4 instead of him. I just like them better. Still guessing that Appel is gone at #4 and not sure how much the O's even like him. Assuming either Gausman or Zimmer are there, they probably take one. If both are there, not sure who they take. Would love Rasjich to surprise me and take one of the HS hitters there, although I can understand a college pitcher there. Zunino would really surprise me, if he's there. The O's really can't go wrong there unless they try something funny, but I do have my favorites.

I'm on this train myself. Just reading up on Buxton, Correa, and Almora the last few days I'm starting to like the latter two more. I'll take one of Correa, Almora, Gausman or Zimmer. And it's also a possibility they all could be there at 4.

I would be slightly disappointed with Buxton to be honest, but I know nothing about scouting:) Just saying he seems to require a lot of development and I would rather see someone that could help us quicker. I would love Correa, Gausman, Zimmer or Almora.

As bad as the Orioles need pitching help I can't see them passing on a future everyday player as opposed to a pitcher going every five days. I like Buxton, Correa and Almora and am okay with any of these three. I'm staying with Buxton with the 4th pick. He is rated by many experts as the best player in the draft. I know he didn't face the same talent Almora did and I'm not sure about the competition Correa faced.

Is Buxton another B. J. Upton, Andrew McCutchen, Eric Davis or as Keith Law said last night on a national radio show...... some have said he could be another Willie Mays?

Some info about him from Perfect Game USA some may not have read before; Buxton is a true five-tool player by the standards that make that level of prospect rare. His true '80' tool on the professional scale is his running speed. His 60 time from the ECP was ?only? 6.57, but 60 times from that showcase are notoriously slow. What was more telling was what he did in games, when it counts. Facing a pitcher throwing in the mid-90s (I think it might have been Lance McCullers), Buxton hit a two-hopper to third base and beat it out at 3.89 from the right side. A couple of pitches later he stole second base at 3.18 (a rarely quoted but well used scouting measurement on fast runners?.3.18 is phenomenal). Both those times were on my watch and were consistent with the scouts around me, as we were all comparing in the ?is that what I really saw? sort of way that scouts occasionally do. Quotes from a scout.

The third strong plus tool is obviously Buxton's arm strength. He has some work to do with his outfield fundamentals, but throwing 94 mph off the mound pretty much speaks for what you want to know about his raw arm strength. There are some scouts who saw Buxton pitch in Marietta at the WWBA 18U who have wondered out loud what kind of pitching prospect Buxton could become if he concentrated on just that part of the game. The fielding and hitting tools will be better judged over time, but with Buxton's proven speed, arm strength, bat speed and athleticism, it would be difficult not to project them to the Major League average to plus level. Notably, Buxton has also stood out in that ?sixth? tool area; make up. He was clearly the leader of the Round Trip team last summer and carried his team not only with his two-way talent, but with his hustle and intangibles as well. He showed the same type of hustle and effort in the showcase environment, which is not always an easy thing to do.

Coast 2 Coast prospects says Buxton has all the tools to be an all-star centerfielder at the next level, but the hit tool is behind his speed, defense and raw power potential. I see him winding up as more of a .250-.265 hitter with 20 homers and 40 steals annually. If correct is that good enough?

John Manuel was just on 105.7 with Steve Davis talking about the draft. He's with Baseball America. He says there are some late reports there are some issues about Correa's work ethic/makeup. Anybody else know anything about this issue? Buxton's got a 6 tool rating with #6 for work ethic and hustle.

I think the Orioles will take Buxton but would not be upset if they took Almora at #4.

I read this article on Correa this morning. http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2012/story/_/page/paese-120602/carlos-correa-rises-top-mlb-draft-list-strength-family-support

There is nothing in it to indicate that Correa has makeup issues and appears to me the exact opposite. Maybe a rumor being floated by a lower team so he falls a little? From reading mocks, I think the O's preference it is Buxton > Gausman > Correa and we end up with Gausman.

Will the pick automatically be our #3 prospect, or does Schoop hold on to that?

Barring a total reach (ie Hobgood), this pick will be #3, probably in the top 30 or so overall prospects in baseball. I think it is unlikely you will see Schoop make the top 50 of any lists based on his performance to date this year.

Will the pick automatically be our #3 prospect, or does Schoop hold on to that?

This pick will be the #3 prospect. Schoop might not even be #4 on many prospect lists. He'll almost certainly be #4 for me, but Avery, Delmonico and Bridwell (by the end of the year) could make that jump, and it's always possible Soler sits above him too. :D

John Manuel was just on 105.7 with Steve Davis talking about the draft. He's with Baseball America. He says there are some late reports there are some issues about Correa's work ethic/makeup. Anybody else know anything about this issue? Buxton's got a 6 tool rating with #6 for work ethic and hustle.

I think the Orioles will take Buxton but would not be upset if they took Almora at #4.

I read this article on Correa this morning. http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2012/story/_/page/paese-120602/carlos-correa-rises-top-mlb-draft-list-strength-family-support

There is nothing in it to indicate that Correa has makeup issues and appears to me the exact opposite. Maybe a rumor being floated by a lower team so he falls a little? From reading mocks, I think the O's preference it is Buxton > Gausman > Correa and we end up with Gausman.

I think both are probably poor indicators of whether there are "makeup" issues. There are some off-the-field questions I'd have relating to Correa, but I'm not sure I'd frame it the way Manuel has (based on your summary).

Good question. Watch out for Nick Delmonico, as well.

I think it goes:

1. Bundy

2. Machado

3. Our Pick

4. Delmonico

5. Schoop

Good call on Delmonico, but he would need to hit even more than he has, and over the whole season, to outweigh Schoop's positional value, at least IMO. Plus, they're basically the same age and Schoop is at AA.

Archived