Jorge Soler finally available

Icterus galbula

Maybe Duquette can tell PA that Soler is a 32 year old relief pitcher? Angelos likes paying for those.

Hah...

DD: OK, so the kid's got a ton of raw power, projectable build...he needs seasoning in the minors, but he's exactly what we need.

PA: How's his fastball?

DD: Well, he's an outfielder, so...

PA: And you said he's...what, 29? Seems a bit young.

DD: ...

PA: Look, Jim. May I call you Jim? The bottom line is: I miss your cousin. Also, we're all about proven commodities here in Baltimore.

DD: Uh...Soler's half-Greek?

PA: Give him a jet and an office next to mine. And ask Jim if we're still on for coffee.

I'm starting to lean dangerously toward "hopeful."

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are Soler's softball skills? That may be a sticking point based on other recent international signings for the O's.

Am I reading the internet correctly in re: the fact that "Pita Rona" (a name worthy of quotation marks) won't be making his "professional" debut (in a league equally worthy of quotation marks) until November?

The rumor many months ago was the Cubs would sign him for $30ish million, IIRC. Time will tell, but I really doubt the O's outbid that price.

Anyone aware of his performance in whatever place he's been playing in the last few months?

Am I reading the internet correctly in re: the fact that "Pita Rona" (a name worthy of quotation marks) won't be making his "professional" debut (in a league equally worthy of quotation marks) until November?

Well, they signed him as a 17 year old in January, so this has him on track to come to the States and play in the GCL as an 18 year old. I don't see what's so odd about this signing, apart from the fact that he played softball (on the best adult team in the world as a 16 year old) before switching to baseball.

According to this news report, they're letting him play some more softball for the New Zealand team this year, and he won't be playing baseball full time until 2013. He seems rather composed for a teenager in this interview. Note also the New Zealand accent, slightly different from the Aussies, and most noticeable in the pronunciation of the letter E.

[video=youtube;gWSM0E2IxKA]

Well, they signed him as a 17 year old in January, so this has him on track to come to the States and play in the GCL as an 18 year old. I don't see what's so odd about this signing, apart from the fact that he played softball (on the best adult team in the world as a 16 year old) before switching to baseball.

I mean...you sort of answered your own question. Softball. New Zealand. The signing is inherently odd (which is not, necessarily, to mean "bad"). IMO, it's probably best to just forget that Rona exists until 2-3 years have gone by. He's clearly not going to (even have a chance to) make an impact (of any kind) until then.

I mean...you sort of answered your own question. Softball. New Zealand. The signing is inherently odd (which is not, necessarily, to mean "bad"). IMO, it's probably best to just forget that Rona exists until 2-3 years have gone by. He's clearly not going to (even have a chance to) make an impact (of any kind) until then.

Well, I'm sure that EB would "forget" about the signing, but he wasn't the one who dredged it up to mock it.

Well, I'm sure that EB would "forget" about the signing, but he wasn't the one who dredged it up to mock it.

1) I wasn't mandating a course of conduct for EB (or anyone else). 2) the original comment, as I read it, was a harmless attempt at humor.

The Orioles signed a softball player. Hopefully he turns into something special on a baseball diamond, but I don't see the problem with "dredg[ing] it up" in the meantime. It's funny/unusual.

Love the "it's a dictatorship, not a democracy, innit?" line.

Also interesting that the Sox signed a young player and the Yanks are scouting. Perhaps it's not so crazy after all.

I mean, the story said "souvenir deal" from the Red Sox and that the Yankees had taken a look. I don't think it's crazy in as much as I don't think it's crazy that the Rays are trying to develop baseball from the ground up in Brazil. But it's certainly on the branch of the tree that's highly unlikely to produce any fruit anytime soon.

I mean, the story said "souvenir deal" from the Red Sox and that the Yankees had taken a look. I don't think it's crazy in as much as I don't think it's crazy that the Rays are trying to develop baseball from the ground up in Brazil. But it's certainly on the branch of the tree that's highly unlikely to produce any fruit anytime soon.

It said "seven year." Learn some Kiwi.

And confirmation bias rears its head yet again.

It said "seven year." Learn some Kiwi.

And confirmation bias rears its head yet again.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That settles it -- Baltimore is at the forefront of a revolution. Hope the HoF is making room in the scouting wing for all the Oceania evaluators.

Archived