The Lew Ford haters crack me up...

OrioleMagic79

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did a quick search, can't seem to find it...I could have sworn that there were several on here that when deciding between sending Avery down or deciding who would replace Markakis and come up to fill in for the lackluster replacements for Reimold that several people were anti-Lew Ford...saying that he was old and that these younger guys are the future...

but my point was related to thinking about this year and salvaging a few wins here and there with a guy that can get a few key hits or at least keep an inning going...

I am either dreaming it up, or I don't use the forum often enough to be able to easily find some of these posts... I guess I just look foolish about now though... such is life I guess...there goes the minimal/non-existent rep that I have in here...

You'll never look foolish as long as OFFNY and his photographic memory has your back. ;)

Somebody rep this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I did. Before he spoke about rep. At least he has a take, even if he got carried away about something that evidently has not happened. I watched the Tides play the other day and Ford looked like he was the best player on the team. Of course it was just one game.

I did. Before he spoke about rep. At least he has a take, even if he got carried away about something that evidently has not happened. I watched the Tides play the other day and Ford looked like he was the best player on the team. Of course it was just one game.

And you are talking about the Tides, so kinda a low bar.

I can't speak for others but it takes a lot more then that for me to red light someone. I think most of us just got a chuckle out of the idea that anyone cares enough about Lew Ford to bother hating him.

Agreed. No need for any negative rep.

I'm giving the OP some help here. These are some quotes from the thread that I cited in my previous post. Now, whether this is "Lew Ford hate", or just some skepticism and/or realism, that's for you all to decide. I'm pretty sure that this is what he was referring to, though.

O

Any plan that has Lew Ford as the Orioles' leadoff hitter is not a good one. He's a 35-year-old who has spent the past 4 years in Mexico, Japan, and independent leagues. Perhaps the reason he's tearing up AAA is because he's had 204 career games there to get the hang of it.

Lew Ford is a warm body to fill out a roster at Norfolk. That's all. If he spends any significant time with the Birds, then something will have gone wrong. The O's are struggling, but shuffling around the roster to give playing time to the likes of Lew Ford is a panic move.

You do realize you're talking about this Lew Ford, right? The same Lew Ford who hasn't appeared in a major league game since 2007, and hasn't had a .725 OPS in the majors since 2004(!). The same Lew Ford who I saw playing the outfield for the Long Island Ducks on my birthday last year, at Regency Furniture Stadium in Waldorf, home of the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs.

But he is 19-for-50 at Norfolk, so I guess that proves he's not only run into Ponce DeLeon in his many travels, but also Roy Hobbs.

I'd prefer the Orioles use reliable data to make their decisions instead of going on gut instincts based on who has nine hits in the last week in AAA. Both Endy Chavez and Wilson Betemit have far better resumes in 2012 than Lew Ford. Far better. Ryan Flaherty has a better resume than Ford.

Indy league ball is lots of fun, but putting up a .900 OPS for the Long Island Ducks is pretty meaningless. Almost as meaningless as a 2-week hot streak in AAA.

Luckily we have ample evidence that the Orioles don't make roster decisions based on 20-at-bat rolling averages.

No. You don't manage a team by hoping and praying that 35-year-old mediocre indy league journeymen continue a brief AAA hot streak in the majors. We know, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Ford is not a good major league outfielder at this point. Even if he does continue that hot streak for a week or two, that just "earns" the real Lew Ford playing time after his little streak is long over, nullifying his prior contributions.
1500 MLB at bats is some pretty strong evidence. If you choose to ignore it in favor of 50 AAA at bats, then perhaps you should look at yours truely. I've been killing it all "season" in my neighborhood after work whiffle ball games. I'm hot, man.
He's been out of the league as long as he was in the league.
Here's a better idea than calling up Lew Ford: NOT calling up Lew Ford.

There is nothing remotely appealing about him, and 9 hits at Norfolk doesn't change that. I would rather give those LF starts to Ryan Flaherty. At least he's young and has a chance to be a part of the Orioles' future. Lew Ford is a warm body filling out a minor-league roster.

Thanks. I wouldn't ding someone negative rep over this. I apparently missed those threads, and when I searched earlier, the threads I saw didn't seem to have much vitriol towards Ford.

Lew Ford is not a major leaguer. In our current situation could he come in handy? Possibly. Certainly gives Norfolk something to root for and I think several of our moves have been made with that in mind.

Based on Off's post above, I think its fairly clear...Drungo HATES Lew Ford!

:rofl:

Drungo clearly hates Lew Ford. He's pretty much hated him his entire life. He hates all guys with car last names. He once sent Bill Toyota and very thorough and tersely worded letter over his eroding skill sets once he hit 32-years old and left Bill James' prime year range. :D

Drungo clearly hates Lew Ford. He's pretty much hated him his entire life. He hates all guys with car last names. He once sent Bill Toyota and very thorough and tersely worded letter over his eroding skill sets once he hit 32-years old and left Bill James' prime year range. :D

Not just last names Tony, don't get him started on Chevy Chase's choice of film roles since The Three Amingos.

Archived