Jones to have MRI

Greg

Oh Good Lord, please don't start this.

Start what? A conversation about how a 29-18 start at the time of Jones extension had many on here blind about the merits of this deal? And about the concept of negotiating a contract in the midst of a ridiculously, unsustainable hot start to a season by a career .323 OBP guy? It was stupid. And it's even more stupid if he's had a wrist issue prior to the negotiations.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Start what? A conversation about how a 29-18 start at the time of Jones extension had many on here blind about the merits of this deal? And about the concept of negotiating a contract in the midst of a ridiculously, unsustainable hot start to a season by a career .323 OBP guy? It was stupid. And it's even more stupid if he's had a wrist issue prior to the negotiations.

Is it stupid to lock up a guy who averaged 3.7 wins, topping 4 twice, in his 23-25 seasons, was in the process of breaking out in his 26th year and a virtual lock to top 4 again, and on pace to top 6, for a contract that runs through his 31 year, and paying him like a 3.5 win player?

He is a team leader and Peter Angelos has more than enough money to burn and overpay. We aren't clipping coupons here or trying to buy low and sell high all the time, we are trying to producing a winning ballclub.

Is it stupid to lock up a guy who averaged 3.7 wins, topping 4 twice, in his 23-25 seasons, was in the process of breaking out in his 26th year and a virtual lock to top 4 again, and on pace to top 6, for a contract that runs through his 31 year, and paying him like a 3.5 win player?

I'm using Fangraph's WAR. He's averaged 2.8 WAR a year, and has never topped 3 (until this year). If he keeps this up and is a star, we get lucky, but that's a huge if. And again, my beef has always been about the timing of it. I just don't get it. If the decision was to extend him, it should have been done in the off-season, before his hot start.

I'm using Fangraph's WAR. He's averaged 2.8 WAR a year, and has never topped 3 (until this year). If he keeps this up and is a star, we get lucky, but that's a huge if. And again, my beef has always been about the timing of it. I just don't get it. If the decision was to extend him, it should have been done in the off-season, before his hot start.

And I'm using BP. What makes one more "right" than the other?

I could care less about the timing. I just want to evaluate the decision. And I think it was a very solid one.

And I'm using BP. What makes one more "right" than the other?

I could care less about the timing. I just want to evaluate the decision. And I think it was a very solid one.

I don't hate the decision, I hate how it was done. How could you care less about the timing? That's the difference in probably $10-15M in the deal.

Archived