Jones to have MRI

Greg

Jones is as premium a talent as we are likely to get. I hope he is not hurt too bad, but I bet he is well before next season when his six years start.

--->(ducks back out of the discussion)

Instead of arguing about when/whether or not he should have said something and how it plays into his contract he just signed...I'll just say I hope it's nothing serious and he's 100% quickly.

Well said, I agree. Hoping for the best here.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but the argument is even weaker considering we most likely will receive excess value on Jones' deal.

I mean, we could maybe have saved a few million had we locked him up in Feb. Or we could very well have cost ourselves even more money, or not even been able to lock him up period, had we waited to October. I don't like to deal in hypotheticals.

All I know is, that I'm glad Jones is here for the next 6 years, and I feel he will be well worth his contract. Anything beyond that is speculation.

How are you so confident of this? We are guaranteeing Jones money to be a 4-5 win player from 2014-2018. He has never been a 4-5 win player before the first two months of this season.

How are you so confident of this? We are guaranteeing Jones money to be a 4-5 win player from 2014-2018. He has never been a 4-5 win player before the first two months of this season.

According to who?

According to BP he's been worth 4 wins two of the last three years, and is on pace to be over 6 wins this year.

Oh, and I'd like to point out that we are not paying Jones to be a 4-5 win player for those extension years either. We're paying him like a 3.5 win player. IF, and it sure doesn't seem to be trending this way, the financial situation stays the same in baseball.

According to who?

According to BP he's been worth 4 wins two of the last three years, and is on pace to be over 6 wins this year.

He hasn't eclipsed 3 in fWAR or bWAR. I admitted he has been good this year but it is still two months. He put up a similar line for the first two months in 2009. I don't think it is a given that he's going to be this good going forward, nor that he is going to be a player he hasn't been for a full season yet. Jones is now the second highest paid centerfielder in baseball. In 2011, Jones was the 13th best centerfielder in baseball by fWAR. There's more risk in this deal than people are admitting.

He hasn't eclipsed 3 in fWAR or bWAR. I admitted he has been good this year but it is still two months. He put up a similar line for the first two months in 2009. I don't think it is a given that he's going to be this good going forward, nor that he is going to be a player he hasn't been for a full season yet. Jones is now the second highest paid centerfielder in baseball. In 2011, Jones was the 13th best centerfielder in baseball by fWAR. There's more risk in this deal than people are admitting.

According to BP, he's been the second best CF in the game over the last three years, not including this one. Better than Granderson, better than Ellsbury, Upton, everyone but Kemp.

Why is one set of numbers right? And another one wrong?

According to BP, he's been the second best CF in the game over the last three years, not including this one. Better than Granderson, better than Ellsbury, Upton, everyone but Kemp.

Why is one set of numbers right? And another one wrong?

Why are two wrong and one right is the better question.

Why are two wrong and one right is the better question.

Because the two use the same defensive metrics (right? I think they do) which severely penalize Jones for whatever reason, which flies in the face of scouting and other defensive metrics.

Because the two use the same defensive metrics (right? I think they do) which severely penalize Jones for whatever reason, which flies in the face of scouting and other defensive metrics.

No, fWAR uses UZR while bWAR uses Total Zone. Neither like Jones very much, but I think UZR is a little more accurate. The Fielding Bible (DRS) also doesn't like Jones' defense very much. I tend to think that with so many metrics in agreement they tend to be on to something.

He just tweeted this:Thanks for all the concern but I'm All good. On the way to BeanTown.

Birdland got it already, Puck. :)

Adam Jones ‏@SimplyAJ10

Thanks for all the concern but I'm All good. On the way to BeanTown.

Archived