Orioles 2012 Draft Tracker

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read on MLBTR (sorry no cite) that Connolly tweeted negotiations with Gausman and Kline could go on for a while.

For some reason, I have a bad feeling about this.

Only reason I see to be pessimistic is the delay could cost the O's an overslot choice down the line.

I don't see what Gausman or Kline would gain by going back to school.

The delay is probably just the Peter Angelos Effect tm

Only reason I see to be pessimistic is the delay could cost the O's an overslot choice down the line.

I don't see what Gausman or Kline would gain by going back to school.

The delay is probably just the Peter Angelos Effect tm

Yep, that's the first thing I thought when I saw that tweet. I guess DD has to get daddy's permission too.

Yep, that's the first thing I thought when I saw that tweet. I guess DD has to get daddy's permission too.

Permission for what? I'm probably missing something, but I can't figure out what it its.

I don't recall the O's having problems signing a high draft choice because PA wouldn't spend the money. In fact, he seems to have overruled AM to sign Wieters, just for one example. Broke an Oriole record at the time for Loewen, too. Off the top of my head, they seem to have had relatively high budgets.

There is a ML-allocated budget for signings that teams have to pay penalties for if they exceed. Are you suggesting they should exceed the budget and pay the penalty?

PA has also instructed the O's to go cheap before, when they drafted Markakis for instance. With the cap in play that doesn't seem likely this time.

On exceeding the budget, Yes I want them to spend 5% over and pay the penalty, I just don't want them losing draft picks.

How is that different from any other team? Except the ones who draft cheap in the first round?

Most years it's not. This year, we should be getting this done quickly. There is a cap, and the O's should know what the guy's number is when they draft him. I could be wrong, but my guess is that Petey is the hold up......as usual.

PA has also instructed the O's to go cheap before, when they drafted Markakis for instance.

Markakis was drafted in 2001 and 2002 by the Reds. The next year he was both a hitter and a LH pitcher with a 96 MPH fastball. In the Reds 2002 draft, he was listed as a pitcher, and they offered 1.5 million, and he turned it down. He signed with us for 1.85 million

Here are the 2003 draft signing bonuses. He was slightly more inexpensive than several around him, but not egregiously so. No one below #3 got more than 3 million. He got more than everybody below #12. He got more than twice as much as the #4 pick, and 100K less than Ian Stewart at #10.

Perhaps our definitions of "going cheap" differ, but this is not an example of mine.

The Twins didn't go cheap and yet the #2 pick is wrapped up already. In fact over half of the first round/supplemental picks have agreed to terms already.

So that means the owners of the other half of the teams are causing problems?

You have yet to demonstrate that "Petey" is ever the holdup at all in draft signings, much less "as usual".

It's been long rumored that he takes days to return phone calls on contract info. Now, if you're looking for concrete info, you won't find it. He's not going to come out and say that he does this.

It's been long rumored that he takes days to return phone calls on contract info. Now, if you're looking for concrete info, you won't find it. He's not going to come out and say that he does this.

It's long been rumored that he takes time to return calls on trades. It didn't take him long to get Jones signed to a contract this year. It didn't take him long to get Hardy signed to a contract last year, both in the middle of the year, and with Hardy in a walk year.

So, apparently, despite the hard evidence to the contrary in draft negotiations, you choose to believe that "rumors" about contracts is causing the holdup here, "as usual", even though it is not unusual at all for high draft picks to take their time, or for premium amateur talent represented by Boras (Wieters, Machado) to go down to the last minute.

Speaking of "rumors", all the "rumors" I've read say that the Orioles start out with a draft budget, and they know in advance what the parameters for a potential pick are before the draft even starts. Which would mean ownership also knows.

Then again, we haven't lost a first pick since the Townsend debacle, which seems to have been Angelos's fault, but it wasn't about money.

Thus, there is nothing that would indicate based on the evidence presented so far that ownership causes us problems with signing draft choices.

In fact, if the evidence presented for that assertion so far is the criterion, we might just as well attribute it to sunspots over Dundalk.

I read on MLBTR (sorry no cite) that Connolly tweeted negotiations with Gausman and Kline could go on for a while.

For some reason, I have a bad feeling about this.

I don't. Both player had a pretty good workload (123.2 for Gausman) and 93.2 for Kline) so there's no rush to get them on the mound. It's more important for the hitters to get signed and get at bats then it as for pitchers who have been pitching since January. Kline has less innings under his belt this year so he could probably get in another 35-40 innings without too much concern.

Archived