Has Hobgood retired?

melankfo

Shoulder injuries are still pretty dicey, I think I agree with bd0493's assessment that there's maybe a 1-in-5 chance of him getting back to the point of pitching again and maybe regaining some slight prospect status, and maybe 1-in-20 of really becoming a prospect again.

I think he will end up going the way of Adam Loewen and play a little offense.

His bar is going to be significantly higher than Loewen's, considering Loewen is enough of an athlete to occasionally play center. Hobgood is probably less fit and mobile than Cal Pickering. If he transitions to offense he'll be primarily a DH or low-grade 1B. Which means he'll need an .800+ OPS in the majors to contriubute anything.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His bar is going to be significantly higher than Loewen's, considering Loewen is enough of an athlete to occasionally play center. Hobgood is probably less fit and mobile than Cal Pickering. If he transitions to offense he'll be primarily a DH or low-grade 1B. Which means he'll need an .800+ OPS in the majors to contriubute anything.

Oh I agree. I just think that may be the road he ends up taking.

I don't put him in the Rowell category, only because he has had physical problems and not the kind of attitude problems that seemed to plague Rowell. Rowell's actually had more success than Hobgood in the minors, but I haven't given up on Hobgood entirely.

I'm more interested in the first statistic though, which we agree is somewhere around 20%. I guess my question, put most simply is this: in the best case scenario, what kind of prospect status could Hobgood reclaim? Could he be as good as, say (remember, best case scenario), Bobby Bundy (ie 10-15 prospect in system), or is there a feasible scenario where he reaches David Hernandez, Jake Arrieta levels? (ie, 4-8 prospect in the system)

EDIT: (and I mean strictly best case scenario here...I think we'd all agree that if Hobgood were to come back and be listed at some point as a top 10-15 prospect in our system, as Bobby Bundy is, we'd consider it a rather spectacular result. My question is it even in the realm of possibility that the latter outcome--4-8 prospect in the system--transpire?)

Well in an absolute best case, yes, I think it could. If he comes back throwing low-mid 90's with sink, and dropping in that hammer curve, those are going to be two very good tools for him to work with. If he could look good enough in ST next year to start in Frederick, and put-up a great half season there before being promoted to Bowie, he'd pretty much be right on track of where you'd want him to be.

Was curious about Hobgood's HS stats. Here are his senior year stats:

AVG AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB K OBP SLG

.475 101 47 48 55 9 0 21 15 13 .547 1.188

As a pitcher he was 11-1 with 101 K's, 28 walks, and a 0.92 ERA in 68 innings

If he can't come back from surgery as a pitcher, the O's might be willing to look at him as a hitter. Looks like he has lots of power.

Was curious about Hobgood's HS stats. Here are his senior year stats:

AVG AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB K OBP SLG

.475 101 47 48 55 9 0 21 15 13 .547 1.188

As a pitcher he was 11-1 with 101 K's, 28 walks, and a 0.92 ERA in 68 innings

If he can't come back from surgery as a pitcher, the O's might be willing to look at him as a hitter. Looks like he has lots of power.

He's really not much of a hitting prospect.

Do you know this for fact, or are you joking? How can a guy not be a hitting prospect with those numbers. We just drafted Ryan Ripken, whose numbers are half of what his were in high school.

Everyone with actual scouting experience that I have heard are unanimous in their analysis. Hobgood was not a position prospect when drafted.

Do you know this for fact, or are you joking? How can a guy not be a hitting prospect with those numbers. We just drafted Ryan Ripken, whose numbers are half of what his were in high school.

Ryan Ripken isn't much of a hitting prospect either.

Archived