2nd Round - Brandon Kline: RHP, UVA

Brandon Morrow comp.

The blurb you had said he had a Morrow-like frame. That doesn't mean we can expect Brandon Morrow from him.

I'm pretty okay with this pick. It's not an exciting one, but it's not a round+ reach either, like some of Jordan's early picks in past years.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a story from yesterday in the Frederick News Post: http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyID=136551

In three years at Virginia, he is 16-5 with a 3.23 ERA. Last season, as the team's closer, he was named to the All-ACC first team and a finalist for the National Collegiate Baseball Writer's Association Stopper of the Year award after posting 18 saves.

Perfect Game

Long easy arm action, low 90s, very live arm at WWBA, good body, command wasn't the best at times

A little dated, though (2008). I think this pick will become clearer w/ more info. Provisionally, it seems pretty low-upside, but if they think he could start, then that's another thing. I have no problem going w/ bullpen arms in the second round - just want to see something better than a fastball-curve guy w/ nothing exceptional. Stotle has him w/ "four average pitches" over on Camden Depot, I believe.

http://mlbdraftcountdown.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/branden-kline-rhp-virginia/

The Cavaliers took a hit this spring after losing their top two pitchers, and while the team has definitely struggled, they have been bolstered by the move of long-time reliever Branden Kline to the rotation.

Kline gave the nation a sneak-peek at his ability pitching multiple innings in the CWS elimination game against South Carolina last year, a game the Cavaliers finally lost. Kline came on in the top of the eighth-inning and tossed one scoreless inning after another. Five innings, and a game-high 107 pitches later, Kline relinquished the ball to Cody Winiarski. In that period, he allowed only three hits, worked his way around four walks and two HBPs and struck out seven.

Kline, a 2009 sixth-round draft pick by the Red Sox, pitched the last two years out of the bullpen, saving a combined 21 games. This year he has posted a 55:22 K:BB ratio and a 1.88 ERA in 32 contests. For his efforts, Kline was rewarded with a spot on the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association’s All-American First-Team.

Kline has good size (6-3, 190) and is a former Louisville Slugger Maryland State Player of the Year. He throws in the low-to-mid 90s and complements his fastball with a curveball and a slider. He did an excellent job maintaining his velocity in his five-inning outing against USC, but he did tire in his final two innings and his mph dipped into the high 80s. Obviously he’s going to need to be stretched out a bit over the summer.

Kline also happens to be an excellent athlete, as evidenced by his lanky, athletic frame. He just missed out on placing in the top-three in the state track and field finals in high-school. He also provided plenty of offense for Thomas Johnson HS, batting .414 as a senior with eight steals.

This season, Kline has carried the weight of the rotation, pacing the starters in innings (71.2), wins (six), strikeouts (76) and he has the only complete-game tossed by the Cavs this year. With a team-leading 31 walks, however, he has shown that he’s by no means a finished product.

Source: ESPN

Kline comes from a high 3/4 slot and works at 90-94 with excellent downhill plane along with a nearly 12-to-6 curveball at 71-74 and harder slurve in the low 80s that breaks down more like a curveball.

He doesn't consistently land online to the plate, sometimes cutting himself off, although his slot is high enough that he doesn't end up coming across his body -- just losing some command to his glove side. His delivery is pretty compact and quick, and he repeats it well other than keeping his front foot on line. I don't see any reason he can't be a starter other than a lack of track record doing it.

I like the pick, I would prefer to keep him in the bullpen though.

Keith Law had him ranked #60 in his top 100.

Edit: Another tidbit

ESPN

Eric (Baltimore)

Whats your take on RHP Branden Kline from UVA?

Klaw (12:15 PM)

Among the best players still available. I think he has a chance to start.

The blurb you had said he had a Morrow-like frame. That doesn't mean we can expect Brandon Morrow from him.

I'm pretty okay with this pick. It's not an exciting one, but it's not a round+ reach either, like some of Jordan's early picks in past years.

I agree about not taking any reaches this early. Jordan was burned by too many 2nd round reaches. This pick differs on what Jordan normally would do in his second round.

A little dated, though (2008). I think this pick will become clearer w/ more info. Provisionally, it seems pretty low-upside, but if they think he could start, then that's another thing. I have no problem going w/ bullpen arms in the second round - just want to see something better than a fastball-curve guy w/ nothing exceptional. Stotle has him w/ "four average pitches" over on Camden Depot, I believe.

I looked for Stotle's and I was unable to find. Just took a quick break from a meeting for this. Thanks.

Would have liked a bit more upside with a high 2nd round pick but I do love drafting college arms for the bullpen.

I bet he signs for under slot, I think DD is saving money here and there for an overslot later on.

Hopefully, but why not take your overslot here? Unless, you're sure that guy is going to fall.

I saw a lot more of him last year as a closer than I did this year as a starter. Just was not able to catch as many games this year. He was filthy at times last year, going 4-1 with a 1.88 ERA and 18 saves. Those that have mentioned his command are correct, it can be a concern at times, as he walked 22 in 43 innings while striking out 56.

Here's something from a Mets blog:

College Pitcher - Branden Kline RHP – Virginia

Branden Kline is moving up draft boards quickly as his conversion from Virginia’s closer to their Friday starter proves to be a success. As a closer, Kline was mostly a fastball/slider guy but he has been incorporating more changeups and curveballs into his repertoire this year, both of which can become major league pitches. He’s got the frame to be a starter at 6’3” and he can sustain his velocity over the course of a game. His approach is a more “aggressive” one typically associated with relievers but I’m not sure that means anything at all. The reliance on the slider and his approach might make him vulnerable to injuries but I’m skeptical that such factors could make his risk significantly greater than any given college pitcher. He could make a good Jordan Swagerty type of pick that would be able to deliver value quickly as a reliever or develop as a starting pitcher at a slower pace. But, the way it’s looking, Kline won’t fall all the way to the second round, so it will take one of our earlier picks, possibly late in the first round.

http://macksmets.blogspot.com/2012/04/baseball-stuff-drew-storen-brandon.html

Archived