4th Round - Christian Walker: 1B, University of South Carolina

For the sake of comparison, Justin Smoak slugged .757 his last year with South Carolina with 23 homers. But given that this is the 4th round, this seems like a very good pick.

Yes, but those stats are apples to oranges. Everyone has to remember that Smoak put up those numbers with composite bats. The current bats are closer to wood than before. 11 HR with the new bat is a good HR total. Zunino only hit 18 HR this year. Plus, he hits for average and takes a walk. Walker is a winner, from a winning program (I went to SC so that is a plus for me), and will be a nice addition to the Os. Go Os!

• Upvote 1

Brandon Snyder average.

That's exactly what I thought you'd say. Every average-power 1B in the majors will forever be compared to Brandon Snyder by Orioles fans. Why can't it be Sean Casey average? ;)

Yes, but those stats are apples to oranges. Everyone has to remember that Smoak put up those numbers with composite bats. The current bats are closer to wood than before. 11 HR with the new bat is a good HR total. Zunino only hit 18 HR this year. Plus, he hits for average and takes a walk. Walker is a winner, from a winning program (I went to SC so that is a plus for me), and will be a nice addition to the Os. Go Os!

This is an excellent point. And I agree with Tony in liking guys that seem to be able to take a walk and also don't have contact issues when selecting in a round like this.

That's exactly what I thought you'd say. Every average-power 1B in the majors will forever be compared to Brandon Snyder by Orioles fans. Why can't it be Sean Casey average? ;)

I was going to say Nick Johnson. I think the O's would be happy if their fourth rounder turns out to be similar to either of those guys (except healthier and hopefully faster than Matt Wieters).

Brandon Snyder average.

You make me cringe with this comp. God if you were not a scout I would be tempted to neg rep you. Snyder is a name that should not be spoken.

Snyder?

Guess that means Bowie power but not Norfolk power?

I was going to say Nick Johnson. I think the O's would be happy if their fourth rounder turns out to be similar to either of those guys (except healthier and hopefully faster than Matt Wieters).

I am going to go with Paul O'Neill. I would be pleased with that. ;)

Well absolutely. Like you pointed out, there's a reason he's available in the 4th round. I just like a solid base of plate discipline to start from and the fact is he has a little pop. I don't know if it will be enough, but looking over the Orioles' 4th round picks over the last 20 years or so, he won't have to do much to be one of the best 4th round selections. I much prefer a guy like this then a raw toolsy high school kid who has a 10% chance of putting it together. Just my personal preference.

Amen on the raw toolsy!

If it does ya.

I mean, the Snyder comp is a bit loaded, because Snyder is basically a one-tool player who strikes out way more than he walks. I don't think Walker is that kind of player, is he? Average power can play at 1B with a good hit tool, good approach, and good defense. Snyder probably isn't a major league starter, but that doesn't mean being a 1B with Snyder power is a death sentence.

One more for the road.. when you say power I think power as in SLG%, not power as in how many HR's he'll likely hit. Would that be correct?

Different teams use different measures. Some orgs tie it directly to HR total. Others have more advanced measures. I tend to think of it in terms of ISO. Walker may sting balls that aren't HRs, but he also has little speed.