4th Round - Christian Walker: 1B, University of South Carolina

I mean, the Snyder comp is a bit loaded, because Snyder is basically a one-tool player who strikes out way more than he walks. I don't think Walker is that kind of player, is he? Average power can play at 1B with a good hit tool, good approach, and good defense. Snyder probably isn't a major league starter, but that doesn't mean being a 1B with Snyder power is a death sentence.

Snyder had around a 60- to 70-point delta between BA and OBP through the minors. That qualifies as a solid ability to command the strikezone. Not a gamechanger, but solid. I don't think we yet know how many SO Walker may or may not rack up as a pro.

I don't think I even implied "death sentence" let alone said it outright. I think history shows that there is reason to be a little bit skeptical about first basemen with his profile, but I don't think I was blasting him at all.

Brandon Snyder average.
At least Walker is more appropriately drafted in the 4th round rather than the 1st.
That's exactly what I thought you'd say. Every average-power 1B in the majors will forever be compared to Brandon Snyder by Orioles fans. Why can't it be Sean Casey average? ;)
You make me cringe with this comp. God if you were not a scout I would be tempted to neg rep you. Snyder is a name that should not be spoken.

Hey, wait just a minute. Snyder made it to the majors. He's hitting .316/.366/.579 in limited playing time. Making the major leagues as the 13th overall pick is only about a 57% proposition, and of the 47 players picked there, Snyder ranks 16th in WAR. So, let's not treat the guy like he's Billy Rowell or Matt Hobgood. He was a solid pick, just not a spectacular one.

Snyder had around a 60- to 70-point delta between BA and OBP through the minors. That qualifies as a solid ability to command the strikezone. Not a gamechanger, but solid. I don't think we yet know how many SO Walker may or may not rack up as a pro.

I don't think I even implied "death sentence" let alone said it outright. I think history shows that there is reason to be a little bit skeptical about first basemen with his profile, but I don't think I was blasting him at all.

Yeah, I think I might have been projecting my opinion of Snyder onto what you were saying, that's my bad.

We don't know what Walker will do as a pro, but his SC numbers (walking twice for every SO) indicate more strike zone command than Snyder had. It's very possible he doesn't do any better than Snyder, probable even, but I don't think "Snyder power" means he won't do anything, even though there is definite reason to be skeptical about players with that kind of profile.

• Upvote 1

Hey, wait just a minute. Snyder made it to the majors. He's hitting .316/.366/.579 in limited playing time. Making the major leagues as the 13th overall pick is only about a 57% proposition, and of the 47 players picked there, Snyder ranks 16th in WAR. So, let's not treat the guy like he's Billy Rowell or Matt Hobgood. He was a solid pick, just not a spectacular one.

Snyder might be Exhibit A in Joe Jordan's prosecution case against the Orioles' player development department.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think I might have been projecting my opinion of Snyder onto what you were saying, that's my bad.

We don't know what Walker will do as a pro, but his SC numbers (walking twice for every SO) indicate more strike zone command than Snyder had. It's very possible he doesn't do any better than Snyder, probable even, but I don't think "Snyder power" means he won't do anything, even though there is definite reason to be skeptical about players with that kind of profile.

Well, you can strikeout because you don't know what a strike is. And you can strikeout because you can't get to a pitch.

I like Walker a lot for what he is. I never said he won't do anything, and I hope he turns out even better than I expect -- that would be great.

Well, you can strikeout because you don't know what a strike is. And you can strikeout because you can't get to a pitch.

I like Walker a lot for what he is. I never said he won't do anything, and I hope he turns out even better than I expect -- that would be great.

What is he?

Based on numbers alone and assuming somewhat substantial regression as he goes up the ladder, are we looking at something like a .750 OPS guy with pretty good hands and average range at 1st?

I seem to remember reading some things about Rajisch really having an eye for bats. Or one of the cross checkers we snagged from Boston. I believe he was on Pedroia and Youk. Maybe Walker will fit that bill for the O's.

Let's keep in mind that Snyder was drafted as a catcher. He certainly had the hit tool and requisite power if he hadn't gotten injured and had remained at catcher. He then came back and gave 3B a try, and his bat would've played a lot better if he had stuck there.

You can't compare Walker, drafted as a 1B, to Snyder who ended up there because of injuries and the inability to stick at third.

Snyder was more of a pure hitter when drafted with the hope he would develop power and/or develop as a catcher.

Not sure why someone would complain about a fourth round pick having "Brandon Snyder" power ....

Who was complaining?

You make me cringe with this comp. God if you were not a scout I would be tempted to neg rep you. Snyder is a name that should not be spoken.

Snyder?

Guess that means Bowie power but not Norfolk power?

I think he was complaining.

For the record, I wasn't really complaining about a fourth-round pick having average power, more that the connotations associated with Snyder among Orioles fans make him a bad choice of comp, especially when you're talking about a single tool. Like, you could say "Brandon Snyder hit tool" or "Brandon Snyder glove" and people will immediately get a negative impression of the player when maybe they don't need to.

I think he was complaining.

For the record, I wasn't really complaining about a fourth-round pick having average power, more that the connotations associated with Snyder among Orioles fans make him a bad choice of comp, especially when you're talking about a single tool. Like, you could say "Brandon Snyder hit tool" or "Brandon Snyder glove" and people will immediately get a negative impression of the player when maybe they don't need to.

Yeah, but we were talking about a single tool -- power -- right?

In any event, I wouldn't qualify you as complaining. I think some of the other comments were as much "having fun at the expense of Snyder" as they were legit issues with the pick. Hoosiers is right to point out Walker's draft round -- if you're expecting to get a player without flaws in the 4th round, you're expecting too much.

How does this kid compare to Hunter Morris - a former SEC (Auburn) first baseman himself, who like Walker, was taken in the 4th round of the 2010 draft by Milwaukee? They are about the same size physically and both also appear bound to first base.

Generally speaking, folks thought he could hit for average pretty well as a pro, but I recall there being similar concerns about the power tool for Morris. I don't think Morris had quite the same plate discipline as Walker appears to have.