6th Round - Felix "Lex" Rutledge: LHP, Samford U (AL)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m5AVl_DV0d4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just call me "Lex"

That is really a cool video. I bet scouts wish they could get a video like this for every one of their pitchers. I'm not a huge mechanics guy but I didn't see any red flags in his delivery. He has a little bit of arm lag but it didn't appear serious.

He bumped 97 for me in relief, mostly 93-95. Haven't had a gun on him as a starter but heard he dropped to 89-92 over multiple innings.

Well that is a lot higher than most of the other scouting reports. Glad to hear it. I'm sure the Orioles are going to give him a shot as a starter so we'll see how he can hold up in that regard. How's his breaking ball?

Well that is a lot higher than most of the other scouting reports. Glad to hear it. I'm sure the Orioles are going to give him a shot as a starter so we'll see how he can hold up in that regard. How's his breaking ball?

Mayo definitely dropped 97 (out-of-the-pen) on the MLB broadcast. Said he originally had him in his top-100.

Mayo definitely dropped 97 (out-of-the-pen) on the MLB broadcast. Said he originally had him in his top-100.

Well looking at his stats last year he definitely has control problems to boot. Now I see why he went in the 6th round despite the good fastball.

Player                 ERA   W-L   APP  GS  CG SHO/CBO SV    IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  2B  3B  HR   AB B/Avg   WP HBP  BK  SFA SHALex Rutledge........  6.81   1-4    25   3   0   0/1    2  35.2  31  32  27  24  52   3   0   0  135  .230    8   4   3    0   6

Good strike out numbers and a low batting average against suggest he may just need to tighten some things up. Good pick for the 6th round. Looking at those numbers though they may want to keep him in the bullpen.

Couldn't locate it, but potential for plus curve. Also used to throw with a little more effort and slightly higher arm slot (I saw him at USA Collegiate National Team Trials). Below average contorl/command.

EDIT -- Flashed a change-up that was actually okay, but didn't throw in game action for me.

Couldn't locate it, but potential for plus curve. Also used to throw with a little more effort and slightly higher arm slot (I saw him at USA Collegiate National Team Trials).

Good lefty on lefty sweeping break?

Maybe that's what he has now. For me it was a 1/7.

I've noticed this a few times over the last few days where it seems I'm backwards, but how does a lefty go 1/7. Wouldn't they go 11/5, or am I missing the reference altogether?

I've noticed this a few times over the last few days where it seems I'm backwards, but how does a lefty go 1/7. Wouldn't they go 11/5, or am I missing the reference altogether?

Fans watch TV point of view; scouts watch from behind home.

Archived