10th Round - Joel Hutter: SS, Dallas Baptist University

• 1 month later...
I just noticed that this guy signed for peanuts - basically what you'd pay a throwaway prospect. Any reason for that? Was he seen as an overdraft? Does he just not need the money?

He was signed for what a college senior would likely sign for. He was drafted early in order to provide "savings" against slot $ allocated for the pick. This savings will be needed to sign other kids to overslot signing bonuses. Easy to understand, right?

FWIW, Hutter was one of three Ironbirds to sign a ball for my son at Staten Island - so he deserves the good start.

I just noticed that this guy signed for peanuts - basically what you'd pay a throwaway prospect. Any reason for that? Was he seen as an overdraft? Does he just not need the money?

To add on to what his been talked about, there is also the "stigma" that goes with the pick. No one will remember he signed for $10K, but they will remember he was a 10th round draft pick. I don't know if is in play here as much as for those seniors drafted in rounds 4 and 5 but I am sure some of it is.

Archived