Inside info confirmed: McGregor demoted

Frobby

I tend to agree, though I certainly don't know. But here is another theory: there were several pitchers who were making significant strides at Frederick at the end of last season. They wil be promoted to Bowie this year. Perhaps the organization thinks they will benefit if they have the same coach this season that they had last year, just so that they are getting a consistent message and instruction.

I dunno what the truth is, but that seems like a perfectly good theory to me. It's not evident to me that there is a consistent approach to P throughout the system. If all the P-coaches have their own philosophy about things, changing P-coaches every year would be a great way to keep everybody confused, a great way to ensure that all the kid pitchers don't know what the hell they're supposed to be doing. I think P-coaches is one place where things *should* be like the Who song: "Meet the new boss... same as the old boss..."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my theory on this (knock it down if you wish). Perhaps Scottie is viewed as an excellent teacher for young pitchers and that skill is more important at the lower level. At the upper levels maybe more tweaking rather than teaching is necessary from the pitching coach. By the time a player gets to AA or AAA, you hopefully are not rebuilding their mechanics, whereas at the lower levels, with more high school kids or early out college pitchers, mechanics are more out of whack and need fixing. I see it with my high school pitchers, the younger they are, the more work they need on mechanics.

I kind of get the feeling that Tommy Thompson and Blaine Beatty will be moving up to Bowie and taking the manager/pitching coach job they had in Frederick. When I talked to Tommy after the season (when he came into Wal-Mart in Frederick and I ran into him) he said that after the org. meeting he said that 50% returning to Frederick and 50% Bowie.

After seeing Bien get fired and now Scotty Mac to Aberdeen, this almost assures to me these two will jump to Bowie.

I've been wondering about the Thompson/ Beatty duo being reassigned to Bowie in '08. At the same time, I'm hearing rumors that Baltimore is/ has looked outside the organization for a replacement for Bien Figueroa in Bowie. Can't confirm anything yet... nonetheless, McGregor is an asset to this organization and the players love having him around. As many of you have already stated, this isn't a demotion. McGregor is very highly thought of around minor league baseball circles and all those younger guys in Aberdeen are going to be quite lucky to have a tutor like Scott on board next summer.

I'll just add that I don't think MacPhail would view keeping anyone in the organization in any reassigned role as a demotion. If they found it necessary to 'demote' someone, they'd fire him.

A young coach who's set on working with the best of the best at the major league level might incorrectly view this as a demotion, but not MacGregor.

I've been wondering about the Thompson/ Beatty duo being reassigned to Bowie in '08. At the same time, I'm hearing rumors that Baltimore is/ has looked outside the organization for a replacement for Bien Figueroa in Bowie. Can't confirm anything yet... nonetheless, McGregor is an asset to this organization and the players love having him around. As many of you have already stated, this isn't a demotion. McGregor is very highly thought of around minor league baseball circles and all those younger guys in Aberdeen are going to be quite lucky to have a tutor like Scott on board next summer.

From what I hear Brad Komminsk will be the Bowie manager next year, but the offical announcement will come soon (probably this week).

As for McGregor, coaches get moved around the organization for various reasons. Very rarely is being move down a level a demotion, but rather because of different circumstances.

Although no contracts have been signed, these changes are likely -

Gary Kendall - Manager / Aberdeen

Scott McGregor - Pitching Coach / Aberdeen

Dave Schmidt - Minor League Pitching Coordinator (replaces Doc Watson)

Still open - Bowie Manager & Pitching Coach, Roving Instructor to replace Tom Lawless

One definite change will be at Delmarva for the Hitting/Base Coach position as Kimera Bartee has accepted a roving instructor job with the Pirates - Good Luck KB!

From what I hear Brad Komminsk will be the Bowie manager next year, but the offical announcement will come soon (probably this week).

As for McGregor, coaches get moved around the organization for various reasons. Very rarely is being move down a level a demotion, but rather because of different circumstances.

Do we have any one at Aberdeen though that is a top pitching prospect though?

Archived