Is there any answer for Reynolds?

Gurgi

I'm happy to see Reynolds in the lineup when he has a DH next to his name. Otherwise, I hold my breath everytime he has to field, throw, or catch a ball. He's that bad as a fielder at any position.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reynolds had a good game tonight. All those using this performance as proof that he's a good player for the Orioles and should be in the lineup every day need to look at the season stats. 3 hrs, 13 rbis, 216, 343, 378. That's the bottom line. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the lineup but the praise is a little nauseating.

You're right. Helped manufacture 3 runs would be a better phrasing, or played a part in 3 runs. Anyways, I think it's fair to say this: he played a part in gaining 3 runs and played a part in giving up 0-2 runs. He was a positive on the night.

Setting the bar too low for a power-hitting CI.

Reynolds had a good game tonight. All those using this performance as proof that he's a good player for the Orioles and should be in the lineup every day need to look at the season stats. 3 hrs, 13 rbis, 216, 343, 378. That's the bottom line. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the lineup but the praise is a little nauseating.

1.) He missed a few weeks and had a terrible April (He's a streaky player, having a poor month is not cause for concern)

2.) He has a CAREER (Not a small sample size) .350 wOBA - That's above average

3.) He's had 28 or more home runs in each of his last 4 seasons (including 37 last year and 44 in '09)

The "praise" you find nauseating is an acknowledgement that he's starting to come around and perform to his career norms. So those season stats aren't the bottom line at all. Mark will be fine, and it's good that he's starting to prove that.

Reynolds had a good game tonight. All those using this performance as proof that he's a good player for the Orioles and should be in the lineup every day need to look at the season stats. 3 hrs, 14 rbis, 228, 360, 386 . That's the bottom line. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the lineup but the praise is a little nauseating.

Fixed your stats.

The bottom line is, he has been back 7 games and is hitting well. Hopefully he stays hot and hits some home runs, if he can keep his OBP anywhere near .360 while showing the power he normally has, more power to him. I think the OBP and the power will both normalize and he will be what he is, a starting third baseman who is below average among starters. Not everybody can be above average.

He's doing well on offense lately, and he always has. I just hope his trouble in the field doesn't get in his head at the plate. And he really did make two mistakes whether he got errors or not - going third with no play (not egregious, but he makes so many mistakes it's harder to ignore), and missing that ball over by first.

He's doing well on offense lately, and he always has. I just hope his trouble in the field doesn't get in his head at the plate. And he really did make two mistakes whether he got errors or not - going third with no play (not egregious, but he makes so many mistakes it's harder to ignore), and missing that ball over by first.

If the official's scorer hadn't erroneously initially ruled that an error I seriously doubt anyone would be talking about that right now; John Olerud in his prime wouldn't have made that play.

The guy has a career OPS of .811 and has put together full seasons with OPS's of .843 and .892. Last year, his first in the AL, he slumped terribly for the first 2 months--much worse than this year--and still finished with an OPS of .806 (EDIT: the .843 OPS year--his rookie year, FWIW--he had 414 PA, not quite a full season, but a large sample size nonetheless). I'd bet good money he surpasses .806 this year.

If he can be an average-slightly below average defensive 1B--which I think is well within the realm of possibility, or, if I'm completely honest, relatively likely--he has more value than people on here give him credit for.

The Orioles should have kept Reynolds at DH, let him mash on the offensive side and then deal him prior to his big option year. The fact that we were so weak at 1B/3B was the real problem and if the effort is there than this is not Reynolds fault. If he hits the ball hard than the offense gets better fast. He was a big part of the offense last season.

37 Bombs

86 RBI's

75 BB's

.323 OBP

.483 SLG

.806 OPS

118 OPS+

His oWAR was 2.9 last season so offensively he has some value.

While playing third last season Reynolds had 26 errors in 253 chances, at first he commited just 5 errors in 392 chances. Chris Davis has 4 errors this season in 366 chances so it is about the same as Reynolds in terms of errors, but Reynolds has a lot more range at first than Davis IMO and that is what happened with a third baseman gets move to first where throwing errors are a lot less common due to the lower number of chances.

take a look at tolleson's or Nick johnson's stat lines for the season, they are much worse.

Reynolds is starting to get it together at the plate and his batting eye might be one of the best on the team.

He's certainly not Ozzie smith in the field but I think he's much better at first than third.

I like what we've seen from him since coming back off the DL. Considering andino is in a big slump, Chavez is a light hitting left fielder, pearce is still a question mark, betemit is both slumping and ill and Nick Johnson is toast at the plate, I think Reynolds defense isn't THAT big of an issue in the grand scheme of things.

I'm very happy to have him in the lineup. I cannot grok why some folks aren't. (No need to repeat the arguments, I do understand them. I just don't buy them.)

In the field, he's just such an enigma. He has the tools (reflexes, arm) for 3B. He has certainly demonstrated that he can be a decent ML 3B. I think the problem is in his head. As best I can guess, he's in the mother of all D-slumps, and it's in his head, it's got him rattled. So he tries really hard to not screw up, and we know what happens then: he does things he knows to not do. This is what hitters do when they're slumping: normal stuff they see everyday makes them look silly.

If it was up to me, I'd get him working with a hypnotist. And, no, I'm not kidding. (I might be grasping at straws, but I'm not kidding.)

I'm very happy to have him in the lineup. I cannot grok why some folks aren't. (No need to repeat the arguments, I do understand them. I just don't buy them.)

In the field, he's just such an enigma. He has the tools (reflexes, arm) for 3B. He has certainly demonstrated that he can be a decent ML 3B. I think the problem is in his head. As best I can guess, he's in the mother of all D-slumps, and it's in his head, it's got him rattled. So he tries really hard to not screw up, and we know what happens then: he does things he knows to not do. This is what hitters do when they're slumping: normal stuff they see everyday makes them look silly.

If it was up to me, I'd get him working with a hypnotist. And, no, I'm not kidding. (I might be grasping at straws, but I'm not kidding.)

It's definitely in his head, but there's nothing more Buck can do. He gave him a vote of confidence and an entire offseason to work on it, and Reynolds still stunk it up when he came back.

I'm happy to see Reynolds in the lineup when he has a DH next to his name. Otherwise, I hold my breath everytime he has to field, throw, or catch a ball. He's that bad as a fielder at any position.

I have similar feelings. I know he was not charged with any errors last night. However, that was a brutal performance at first base. The official scorer should have given him an error on tthe ground ball. If nothing else, he took a really bad path to the ball. After further review, Tolleson should have caught the throw to third. However, Reynolds made a poor decision. IMO he's not an average major league infielder. Also, the Orioles have enough guys who can play left right now. ( Toleson, Pearce, Chavez)My gut feeling is that Reynolds would not be as good in left as any of these three. Reynolds should be the primary DH right now. He should play first twice a week at best. I'm not really worried about Reynolds' trade value at this point. Everyone knows that his best position is bat. I want him hitting his thirty some homers for the Orioles this season.

Archived