Round 19 - Joshua Hader: LHP, Old Mill Senior Hill (MD)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They can sign whenever, so long as they are not returning to school. If they don't sign by next year's draft, they go back into the draft pool.

Thanks, I didn't know if they mucked around with that in the new CBA.

Really happy with this. Get him in the GCL and get working. Really like this kid. Hope he beefs up a little in the offseason.

He's a great low-risk project. Since the Orioles knew he wanted to go play and it wasn't going to take a lot to sign him, it makes sense for them to get this done quickly. I'm not sure he's really physically ready for pro ball yet, so don't expect great numbers from him right away, but if he puts on weight and develops nicely, he could end up a real bargain.

He's a great low-risk project. Since the Orioles knew he wanted to go play and it wasn't going to take a lot to sign him, it makes sense for them to get this done quickly. I'm not sure he's really physically ready for pro ball yet, so don't expect great numbers from him right away, but if he puts on weight and develops nicely, he could end up a real bargain.

I would think that is what the O's are planning on. I would be disappointed if any fans or anyone in the organization freaked out if he struggles at first. Let him get some experience at a very young age, bulk up, and work his way up the organization very slowly. There is a lot of potential though for a guy that was drafted as late as he was.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no one is going to freak out if a 19th Round pick that received insignificant money never even throws a pitch. It'd be super if he develops into a MLB contributor, but I can't imagine anyone is expecting it to the point that they would be frustrated if he struggles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well so much for what I know. Hader has been unhittible through his first three outings allowing just three hits while striking out nine in four and two-third innings. It's only the GCL League, but for a kid who was only touching 88-89 MPH while sitting 86-87 in high school, he's having some pretty good success. The best thing is he's very projectable so he could end up a real steal.

• 2 weeks later...
Well so much for what I know. Hader has been unhittible through his first three outings allowing just three hits while striking out nine in four and two-third innings. It's only the GCL League, but for a kid who was only touching 88-89 MPH while sitting 86-87 in high school, he's having some pretty good success. The best thing is he's very projectable so he could end up a real steal.

Well, I think this is great. Hopefully grows into those projections.

Archived