Round 20 - Ryan Ripken: 1B, Gillman HS (MD)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan Ripken = Pete Rose Jr.

Wow I am kind of surprised. His mother was a high school basketball player and used to joke Ripken only began dating her because she was an athelete. I always thought Ryan would be at least decent. But it shows genetics is a crapshoot sometimes.

Wow I am kind of surprised. His mother was a high school basketball player and used to joke Ripken only began dating her because she was an athelete. I always thought Ryan would be at least decent. But it shows genetics is a crapshoot sometimes.

Playing Major League Baseball is as hard as being a ninja. The genes don't make it all work out even if they are the right ones. And hitting a 90 mph fastball is somthing very few people actually can do. Not Thousands. Hundreds. In the entire World at the level that major leaguers play it at.

I'm actually really surprised by this but not necessarily because I thought he would play a lot at South Carolina. My surprise is that he would transfer to a community college instead of just giving up on baseball and worrying about getting his education at the best college he could. As a fellow MIAA graduate, I would think that Cal would want his kid to focus on academics at this point.

I know it is tough to do with a sport you love, I had to do it with lacrosse once it became apparent I wasn't going to see the field at the D1 level, but I'm surprised that is his move.

Archived