Orioles agree to terms with Jamie Moyer

LookitsPuck

Great story!

That's awesome. I always felt like Jamie was a good guy. Maybe it's because he's old and he's in "honorary grandpa" status. Either way, I still wanted someone to lay out Chipper Jones when he threw a fit about Moyer accusing him of stealing signs. I'm sorry but if someone like Moyer, who has been pitching for a millennium, accuses you of stealing signs, I'm inclined to believe it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what the O's record is for a pitcher's time in between starts. Moyer last started a game for the O's in 1995, so if he makes the team it will be close to 17 years. Funny, I kind of thought he seemed old in 1995.

As far as I can tell (and I actually looked at just about everyone who's played 18 years in the majors) that would be the record. Al Leiter went a little over 16 years between appearances for the Yanks (April 26, '89 to July 17, '05).

For a minute I thought Burleigh Grimes had 17 years between appearances with the Pirates ('17 to '34), until I saw he'd played two years for them ('28-29) in the middle.

Curt Schilling was traded from the Red Sox organization to the O's on July 29, 1988. And returned to the Sox on November 28, 2003, appearing in a game on April 6, 2004. That's nearly 16 years.

When Davey Johnson came back to manage the O's in '96 that was 24 years since he'd been traded away as a player. If we're opening up that can of worms there might be some huge gaps...

Edit: Really stretching the definitions... Rickey Henderson played for Jersey City in the Eastern League in 1978 then returned to northern New Jersey to play right next door for the Atlantic League Newark Bears in 2003, 25 years later.

Well this is an interesting move on several accounts. First off, it has to be a record for a team to resign a guy 17 years after they initially released him. Secondly, I'm surprised at 49-years old that Moyer is willing to go to Norfolk for 2-3 starts so the O's can "evaluate him". As strange as it is for a 49-year old to still be playing or pursuing a major league job, it's even stranger that he's willing to go to AAA on something more than a rehab. We're talking about a guy who has won 269 major league games.

I really have no qualms with the Orioles signing him since I'm not convinced Arrieta, Hunter, Tillman or Eveland are any kind of answer as a consistent starting pitcher. Saying that, I'm not convinced he has anything left in the tank. Moyer was getting hammered once hitters hook off there early season rust and it wasn't just at Coors field where he actually pitched better than in away ballparks.

Moyer is average less than 80 MPH on every one of his pitches including 77.4 MPH on his fastball. In retrospect, RA Dickey throws his Knuckleball at 76.7 MPH.

As nice of a story as it would be, I just don't see how Moyer will be able to pitch effectively in the American League, not to mention in the AL East. Maybe he can be an effective long guy, but I don't see how a pitcher who hasn't been successful since 2008 will be able to help out this season.

It's a no lose situation for the Orioles and I'm fine with DD adding deep depth to the organization, but at the end of the day, I don't see Moyer helping the Orioles.

Well this is an interesting move on several accounts. First off, it has to be a record for a team to resign a guy 17 years after they initially released him. Secondly, I'm surprised at 49-years old that Moyer is willing to go to Norfolk for 2-3 starts so the O's can "evaluate him". As strange as it is for a 49-year old to still be playing or pursuing a major league job, it's even stranger that he's willing to go to AAA on something more than a rehab. We're talking about a guy who has won 269 major league games.

I really have no qualms with the Orioles signing him since I'm not convinced Arrieta, Hunter, Tillman or Eveland are any kind of answer as a consistent starting pitcher. Saying that, I'm not convinced he has anything left in the tank. Moyer was getting hammered once hitters hook off there early season rust and it wasn't just at Coors field where he actually pitched better than in away ballparks.

Moyer is average less than 80 MPH on every one of his pitches including 77.4 MPH on his fastball. In retrospect, RA Dickey throws his Knuckleball at 76.7 MPH.

As nice of a story as it would be, I just don't see how Moyer will be able to pitch effectively in the American League, not to mention in the AL East. Maybe he can be an effective long guy, but I don't see how a pitcher who hasn't been successful since 2008 will be able to help out this season.

It's a no lose situation for the Orioles and I'm fine with DD adding deep depth to the organization, but at the end of the day, I don't see Moyer helping the Orioles.

Hopefully he sees your 35 and older post about pitchers wanted for your men's league.

So you're saying there's a chance!

As strange as it is for a 49-year old to still be playing or pursuing a major league job, it's even stranger that he's willing to go to AAA on something more than a rehab. We're talking about a guy who has won 269 major league games.

Iron Man McGinnity was pitching Class D ball at 54!

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/121996-O-s-sign-Nate-McLouth?p=2783106#post2783106

Hmmmm....maybe I have some skills?

Let try again.

With Moyer and Miggy on board, can MelMo be far behind?

I hear David Segui is looking to lace up the cleats one more time as well.

In all seriousness, this can't be a bad move. There's essentially no risk (unless you're a HUGE Tides fan). He'll pitch a few games. If he gets shelled, he might be gone. If he does well, he gets called up. Though I also wonder if this is also about getting him around as another mentor to some of the younger pitchers in the organization. Plus, it's a novelty for those of us in Hampton Roads who now have a chance to go see a team with Miguel Tejada, Jamie Moyer, and Bryan Roberts. Sure, it's the 50 year old version of Moyer, the 40 year old version of Tejada, and a rehabbing Roberts... But Moyer was never a shutdown pitcher to begin with.

I think you're right, Tony. My first though was Minnie Minoso and the White Sox, but even that was less time in between the releasing and re-signing of Jamie Moyer by the Orioles. The White Sox released Minoso back in 1964, and signed him as late as 1980, which is only 16 years apart.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/minosmi01.shtml

I think you're right, Tony. My first though was Minnie Minoso and the White Sox, but even that was less time in between the releasing and re-signing of Jamie Moyer by the Orioles. The White Sox released Minoso back in 1964, and signed him as late as 1980, which is only 16 years apart.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/minosmi01.shtml

Big Sam Thompson played for the Detroit Wolverines from 1882-1888. In 1906, 18 years later at the age of 46, he played eight games for the Detroit Tigers.

Big Dan Brouthers played for an National Association (minor league) team in Rochester in 1880. Must have been a heck of team (despite what looks like a bad record), he played with Long Levi Meyerle, Lip Pike, Buck Ewing, and One Arm Daily. Then after his MLB career was mostly over he returned to Rochester and played a season for Rochester's Eastern League team in 1899, a 19 year gap.

Big Sam Thompson played for the Detroit Wolverines from 1882-1888. In 1906, 18 years later at the age of 46, he played eight games for the Detroit Tigers.

Big Dan Brouthers played for an National Association (minor league) team in Rochester in 1880. Must have been a heck of team (despite what looks like a bad record), he played with Long Levi Meyerle, Lip Pike, Buck Ewing, and One Arm Daily. Then after his MLB career was mostly over he returned to Rochester and played a season for Rochester's Eastern League team in 1899, a 19 year gap.

OK, thanks for the info, Hazewood. :)

C'mon, you can't go back to the days of the St Paul Spitballers for answers. :D Besides, do we know if those guys were released by thos teams. I think that's the real amazing part here. It's impressive enough that a guy would return to a team after so many years, but to return to a team that literally released him has to be a record.

C'mon, you can't go back to the days of the St Paul Spitballers for answers. :D Besides, do we know if those guys were released by those teams. I think that's the real amazing part here. It's impressive enough that a guy would return to a team after so many years, but to return to a team that literally released him has to be a record.

Well, yes. If you are going by modern-day records (1901-present), then the signing of Moyer appears to be a record, eclipsing Minnie Monoso and the White Sox by 1 year (he was released in 1964, and then he was-signed again as late as 1980). Minoso was actually signed and released by the White Sox in 1976, so I don't know if that would break the streak. But he was released and re-signed by the White Sox 16 years apart.

By the way, I still remember having a 1977 baseball card when I was a kid, which proclaimed Minoso to be the oldest person ever to get a base hit in the majors the previous season. :)OOhttp://img.beckett.com/images/items/3801349/marketplace/78239704/FRONT_large_3172858.png

Later, it was pointed out that a guy named Jim O'Rourke was older when he got a hit when he was 54 in 1904, and Charley O'Leary got a hit when he was 58 in 1934.

Like Satchel Paige, Minoso's birthdate has been disputed. He was born either in 1922 or 1925, depending on who you listen to.

C'mon, you can't go back to the days of the St Paul Spitballers for answers. :D Besides, do we know if those guys were released by thos teams. I think that's the real amazing part here. It's impressive enough that a guy would return to a team after so many years, but to return to a team that literally released him has to be a record.

Yea, I'm 99% sure it's a record. Thompson and Brouthers don't even meet the critera, they weren't released and didn't even play for the same franchise both times. I just think it's interesting to look into it and exhaust the possibilities...

Archived