Buster Olney on Hamilton to Baltimore

luismatos4prez

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Better then say Matt Kemp?

Yeah, maybe not...Kemp is four years younger, so he has more upside moving forward. This year Hamilton is 1.094 OPS and Kemp is 1.163 OPS...not likely substainable for either. I give the edge to Kemp...is Kemp going to be available? Hamilton is worth the risk and is in the "conversation" for best player in the game...is that better?

You never saw Barry Bonds?

I did. But I don't recognize his records and I definitely don't consider him "pure". Same goes for all the other cheaters. And it's sad because he easily had the talent to be a first ballot HOFer without that crap. As far as I'm concerned Hank Aaron and Roger Maris are the career and single season home run kings respectively.

Hamilton is another story. He's made some awful mistakes, but he never cheated the game of baseball. Only himself and his family.

I did. But I don't recognize his records and I definitely don't consider him "pure". Same goes for all the other cheaters. And it's sad because he easily had the talent to be a first ballot HOFer without that crap. As far as I'm concerned Hank Aaron and Roger Maris are the career and single season home run kings respectively.

Hamilton is another story. He's made some awful mistakes, but he never cheated the game of baseball. Only himself and his family.

Is taking greenies cheating? Putting Vaseline on the ball?

Wait a minute, isn't half our team ex-Rangers. How about some of them make a phone call. Also send the tape of the O's fans giving him a standing ovation.

I can't tell if you are serious or not. And I think that's pretty cool.

Is taking greenies cheating? Putting Vaseline on the ball?

By the letter of the law, yes. I'm not going by the letter of the law though. Players have been exploiting and bending the rules as long as the game has been around. Artificially turning yourself into a superhuman is crossing a line. It's right there with throwing a World Series in the most egregious offenses to baseball.

By the letter of the law, yes. I'm not going by the letter of the law though. Players have been exploiting and bending the rules as long as the game has been around. Artificially turning yourself into a superhuman is crossing a line. It's right there with throwing a World Series in the most egregious offenses to baseball.

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. I didn't realize steroids made you super human.

I listened Friday morning to a show on the Dallas ESPN Radio affiliate. The hosts, who go by the names Ben and "Skin" are mildly entertaining and mildly knowledgeable. What they really are, though, is connected. They cuddle up to local athletes so much it's absolutely creepy. So they have guys like Dirk Nowitzki, Derek Holland and assorted Cowboys on the air all the time. Most of their interviews are based on pure schtick, as they are far more interested in making sure the audience knows they hang out with athletes than they are in actually doing any reporting.

That said, they said this morning that they think Hamilton is 100 percent likely to be an ex-Ranger after the season. They didn't say where he might end up, but they think he's out of Texas. In a Sports Illustrated story (which I have not read), his wife says things like "we're not about the money" (of course not), the idea that "Hamilton needs Texas" isn't true (although he has a terrific support system down here) and "we have huge plans for the money" that Hamilton will make as a free agent. They (the radio hacks) speculated that the ?ber-Christian Hamilton might sign for $175 million ... and give $100 million of it to charity or something, thereby immediately blasting any claims that he was a mercenary just looking for the biggest paycheck.

One other thought (mine, not theirs): I can't see him signing with the Birds (dammit), but if he did, they'd better replace/upgrade some of those windows in the Warehouse before he destroys them.

I listened Friday morning to a show on the Dallas ESPN Radio affiliate. The hosts, who go by the names Ben and "Skin" are mildly entertaining and mildly knowledgeable. What they really are, though, is connected. They cuddle up to local athletes so much it's absolutely creepy. So they have guys like Dirk Nowitzki, Derek Holland and assorted Cowboys on the air all the time. Most of their interviews are based on pure schtick, as they are far more interested in making sure the audience knows they hang out with athletes than they are in actually doing any reporting.

That said, they said this morning that they think Hamilton is 100 percent likely to be an ex-Ranger after the season. They didn't say where he might end up, but they think he's out of Texas. In a Sports Illustrated story (which I have not read), his wife says things like "we're not about the money" (of course not), the idea that "Hamilton needs Texas" isn't true (although he has a terrific support system down here) and "we have huge plans for the money" that Hamilton will make as a free agent. They (the radio hacks) speculated that the ?ber-Christian Hamilton might sign for $175 million ... and give $100 million of it to charity or something, thereby immediately blasting any claims that he was a mercenary just looking for the biggest paycheck.

One other thought (mine, not theirs): I can't see him signing with the Birds (dammit), but if he did, they'd better replace/upgrade some of those windows in the Warehouse before he destroys them.

Hamilton makes sense, but only because we have the means to put his offense at DH/1B without really blocking anyone. Hamilton being signed would only make sense if we went all in and if we did than we could be looking at Bundy, Machado and maybe even Gausman being added to the 25-man and a high quality arm being brought in IMO.

Archived