Gausman is on the mound now, ESPN2

Frobby

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The LSU coach mentioned the expectation of rain again today. He said he wanted to get the most out of their best pitcher, Gausman, this weekend. Why not just let him pitch tomorrow, if necessary, once they won the first game? At this point, he could have gotten Gausman up in the first game, sat him down for 45 minutes, and then got him back up for only a few innings if this rain gets worse.

By the way, Ben McDonald actually had a pretty good career. Granted, he didn't wind up having career numbers like Cuellar or McNally like we were hoping for when we drafted him in '89, but he had a career 3.91 ERA while pitching his entire career in the American League (DH league), the last few years of which were pitched in the offensively-inflated steroid/newer,smaller parks/(allegedly) juiced balls era. He won 78 games overall, including 24 complete games and 6 shutouts. Again, he didn't have the lights-out career that we were hoping for, but he was far from a Rocky Cherry, a Hayden Penn, etc.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcdonbe01.shtml

What do you think of Gausman's delivery? My untrained eye keeps thinking "them thar's a lot of moving parts..." (my eye hails from some kind of old-western satire, apparently).

He's a lanky kid with long arms and legs. Done a great job getting consistent over the last two years.

Does being a FB/CU guy help with that? (Would seem to keep things more simple.)

I don't think so. Breaking ball is in the wrist, not the body. Gausman just needs to find his release and the slider will be there for him. But throwing the slider would not throw off his mechanics.

Archived