Gausman is on the mound now, ESPN2

Frobby

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Admittedly, I didn't do as much research this year as I had in years past. Normally I read a lot of scouting reports, watch some videos, etc.

I just haven't been over impressed with what I've read so far. How does he compare to Bundy?

Better pitcher's body, doesn't have the overuse issues Bundy had. Has more physical projection left then Bundy. Fastballs are comparable, Gausman has the better change, Bundy has the better breaking ball. Bundy's command is better.

From what I have heard I like Bundy's makeup better.

Big difference to me is Gausman doesn't have a weapon like Bundy's cutter.

(I am not in any way shape or form an expert)

Me too, but was there someone available there that wouldn't have been meh to you?

I did like this writeup on Zimmer: http://baseballnewshound.com/?p=2793

After watching guys like Arrieta and Matusz struggle with fastball command, it'd be nice to have drafted someone who is already noted for their fastball command. Not to say that Gausman doesn't have command, but it also sounds like Zimmer has a better curve right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the pick. I'm just not super excited about it.

To be fair to Gausman, he is only a sophmore, and I think last years draft class distorts what was available this year somewhat. Gausman may not have even been in the top 10 last year. Not every year can you get a Dylan Bundy at pick #4.

He's only a sophomore but he's older than the other college pitchers that were drafted around him (Zimmer, Appel, etc.). That's what matters at this point.

I watched the whole game today. Not very impressed. He never threw a fastball more than 91 today. Or at least that was what the ESPN gun had. I would hope that the gun is wrong.

He was all over the place with the fastball. No command whatsoever. The change looked like a very good one. But it also was never thrown for a strike that I saw. It was drifting to the right and usually ended up a foot outside.

Never saw one sharp curve.

Maybe we should hope this kid wont sign and we can redo the pick next year.

I am more than meh on this so far.

The Orioles should low ball this kid to use more money for the down picks. I don't see how he can demand slot money.

I did like this writeup on Zimmer: http://baseballnewshound.com/?p=2793

After watching guys like Arrieta and Matusz struggle with fastball command, it'd be nice to have drafted someone who is already noted for their fastball command. Not to say that Gausman doesn't have command, but it also sounds like Zimmer has a better curve right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the pick. I'm just not super excited about it.

I think depending on where you look, each of the top three college arms could be ranked as the best. BA had Zimmer as the best, Law had Gausman as the best, and Kevin Goldstein had Appel as the best.

I watched the whole game today. Not very impressed. He never threw a fastball more than 91 today. Or at least that was what the ESPN gun had. I would hope that the gun is wrong.

He was all over the place with the fastball. No command whatsoever. The change looked like a very good one. But it also was never throw for a strike that I saw. It was drifted to the right and ended up a foot outside usually.

Maybe we should hope this kid wont sign and we can redo this next year.

So, you think one game is enough to have an informed opinion? Just curious.

So, you think one game is enough to have an informed opinion? Just curious.

An informed opinion? No. But I do have an opinion developing. The kid looks like a poor mans Arrieta. Without the 95-97. But the sloppy command is right up Arrieta's path.

He was all over the place with the fastball. No command whatsoever. The change looked like a very good one. But it also was never throw for a strike that I saw. It was drifted to the right and ended up a foot outside usually.

The Orioles should low ball this kid to use more money for the down picks. I dont see how he can demand slot money.

A scout who writes for ESPN had Appel 4-6 mph higher than what they had on the broadcast for him in his last start which was around 89-91, so that may be the case for Gausman as well. His breaking ball going forward will be a slider so not having a sharp curve (if he threw one today at all) isn't much of an issue.

The Orioles should low ball this kid to use more money for the down picks. I dont see how he can demand slot money.

This seems like such an odd stance to me. Gausman didn't pitch all that well, but I think he flashed enough to show that he has front line ability in a couple of years. He's not a perfect prospect, but given what was available he was a fine pick. It just seems hyper-reactionary to suggest that we should lowball him and hope that he doesn't sign after one game.

Kiley McDaniel said the gun was 4-6 MPH cold for Appel's start, and I assume it was slightly low for this game as well. Also, in the first few innings, Gausman was consistently hitting 93/94 on the espn gun.

An informed opinion? No. But I do have an opinion developing. The kid looks like a poor mans Arrieta. Without the 95-97. But the sloppy command is right up Arrieta's path.

I wasn't terribly impressed, but (1) it was the first (and only) time I'd ever seen him pitch, and (2) the weather was abysmal. Your coming to such an extreme conclusion based on a single game played in those conditions is something of a head-scratcher, IMO.

I'd just advise that today was not a typical Gausman day (and I said that before the rain really started). Don't everyone go jumping off bridges just yet. Of course, if you feel like a start, an hour after he had already warmed up and thrown an inning of relief, in the rain, on a sloppy mound, is enough to judge a pitcher, by all means.

I'd just advise that today was not a typical Gausman day (and I said that before the rain really started). Don't everyone go jumping off bridges just yet. Of course, if you feel like a start, an hour after he had already warmed up and thrown an inning of relief, in the rain, on a sloppy mound, is enough to judge a pitcher, by all means.

I think the only thing that would make Gurgi more comfortable in his analysis would be some Ambien.

Archived