Would you bring Gregg back on the right contract?

Araqnid

Gregg has shown that he can be a decent enough pitcher if used in low-leverage situations. He's easily forgetable compared to the rest of the pen, where 4 members have ERA+ over 200 (Johnson, Strop, O'Day, Ayala), but he's actually been pretty reliable.

His stats:

IP: 17.1

ERA: 3.63

ERA+: 114

K/9: 7.3

BB/9: 3.6

If he were willing to come back on a smaller contract with the understanding that he's still not the CL or the SU, would you take him? If so, what would be the highest value you'd go?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. He's pitched alright, but I still have no confidence in him and neither does Buck. I don't want a pitcher on the team that cannot be used, except as a last resort.

I do like that his BB/9 is down. That is really the key difference between 2011 and 2012. I no longer want to vomit with the image of him warming up in the pen, so that's at least an improvement. I still want to deal him while he's pitching well and may yeild a mediocre prospect.

Lets take a look at what we have:

Johnson closing...

Strop 8th inning duty...

O'Day 6-7th inning match-up....

Patton 6-7th inning match-up...

Ayala anywhere...

Arrieta ... fully expect him to be a dominant 7th inning guy...

Pomeranz, Gonzalez ... I just don't see the need for Gregg, plus I think he is going to want a set-up job at the very least. I doubt he is happy where he is.

Gregg has shown that he can be a decent enough pitcher if used in low-leverage situations. He's easily forgetable compared to the rest of the pen, where 4 members have ERA+ over 200 (Johnson, Strop, O'Day, Ayala), but he's actually been pretty reliable.

His stats:

IP: 17.1

ERA: 3.63

ERA+: 114

K/9: 7.3

BB/9: 3.6

If he were willing to come back on a smaller contract with the understanding that he's still not the CL or the SU, would you take him? If so, what would be the highest value you'd go?

Please. It's obvious that Showalter is (and has been) only using Gregg when absolutely necessary, and that if it were up to him, he wouldn't be on the team. So, it's not just my own personal bias in regard to Gregg that comes into play here ....... it's Buck himself, as well. You want to put an excellent manager like Showalter through this entire process again in 2013 ??? :eek:

No, thanks.

Gregg won't sign with us because he knows he won't be the closer. He will sign with someone else where he has a chance at closing. I don't think Gregg wants anything to do with middle relief.

People want a lot of things they can't have. When you have "failed Orioles closer" on your resume the list of teams willing to employ you in that role is vanishingly small. Especially when you think the Atlantic League is beneath you.

Archived