Would you bring Gregg back on the right contract?

Araqnid

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't need to see Gregg on the team again but how do you know Showalter doesn't want him on the team or is your personal bias making an inference?

Actions speak louder than words. Showalter's blatant avoidance of Gregg over the last month-and-a-half tells everyone exactly how he feels about Gregg. He doesn't need to call a press conference and say, "Listen up, everybody. I just want to make it clear to anyone that has been living on the moon that I don't want Kevin Gregg on the team" for people to get the drift of how he feels, and whether or not he would rather have another relief pitcher besides Gregg on the 25-man roster.

How fast did Buck pull Gregg after that homer tonight ... .001 seconds?

In hindsight, it's a good thing that Buck got Jimmy Johnson up and throwing immediately after Gregg issued the walk to the previous batter.

Wont be any room for him in the pen - not with Koji making his triumphant return.

Koji 2012 stats

WHIP = 0.703

H/9 = 5.5

BB/9 = 0.8

SO/9 = 9.3

ERA+ = 212 :thumbsup1:

38 years old next season or not the man can still pitch. He likes Baltimore and I like him. O's should sign him for the 2013 season. :scratchchinhmm:

(chronic forum lurker but I just couldnt resist posting an emphatic NO for the return of captain chaos. no no god please no)

He's the worst. I loathe the day we signed his fat arse. If it wasn't for him standing up to Ortiz last year' date=' I have to think he would already be gone. [/size']

Even still, he's gotta be one or two more bad performances away from the unemployment line.

OOOActually, if that were the real reason why we've been keeping him on the team (it isn't), I would be able to stand his presence with a little less frustration than I currently have. But ........ that isn't the reason. THIS is the reason, which is what really pisses me off:

When Stu or Miguel Gonzalez are ready it will be time to move Gregg if not sooner. However, with the money owed him, it will be tough. I do appreciate the fact he has pitched much better of late.

THAT is the most infuriating part of it to me ........ the fact that the Orioles are treating the whopping $3.7 Million that we still owe him as if it were $25 or $30 Million, and clogging up a roster spot with him because of it.

As I stated in another thread, the $3.7 Million that we still owe Gregg (and our subsequent reluctance to simply DFA him because of it) has to be the smallest "albatross" contract, the smallest "holding the team hostage" contract in recent memory.

Yes, I would consider bringing back Gregg on a NRI, maybe even go out on a limb and offer him a 1/0.4 deal.

After last night my offer has decreased to "cleaning clubhouse and hanging out on the off chance that the rest of the staff comes down with debilitating cases of hypengyophobia and the team needs someone to complete several spring training exhibitions."

I'm really don't at all understand the vitriol to the guy right now:

- 114 ERA+

- Small contract, probably 1 yr, <1M.

Again, I'm not asking about bringing him on the first 100M closer's contract ever, I'm asking, do you take the guy who's shown he can be effective in low pressure situations, and pay him a salary appropriate to his new role.

I'm really don't at all understand the vitriol to the guy right now:

- 114 ERA+

- Small contract, probably 1 yr, <1M.

Again, I'm not asking about bringing him on the first 100M closer's contract ever, I'm asking, do you take the guy who's shown he can be effective in low pressure situations, and pay him a salary appropriate to his new role.

He's a replacement-level reliever. He's indistinguishable from multiple guys currently pitching in Norfolk. Anything more than a one-year deal at league minimum is overpaying.

He's a replacement-level reliever. He's indistinguishable from multiple guys currently pitching in Norfolk. Anything more than a one-year deal at league minimum is overpaying.

I disagree with the bolded. If that bold part becomes true, then yes, everything in that post is correct.

I'd argue that he's been extremely solid lately, pitching to a sub-2.00 ERA over the past 12 games. He has a lot more experience than any of those guys in Norfolk. One of the strengths of this bullpen has been its ability to not miss a beat when a guy has struggled or been injured. Ultimately, having extra bodies is never a bad thing, especially if they come cheaply. I still think he can give you a 3.00ish ERA at a relatively cheap price, which is better than what a lot of relievers in the majors are doing right now, so no, I don't view him as replacement level.

I think his awful year last year, combined with his exorbitant paycheck this year, are clouding the judgement of a lot of people. If he maintains this pace for the rest of the year, is willing to come back at a very cheap price, I really don't see the problem here.

Archived