Tough to listen to

warrior21

Look back over the posters in this thread and see where we are located. Alexandria, Philly, West Virginia, New Jersey, Florida, New Orleans, Brooklyn. Your solution is not easy. For some, perhaps.

{EDIT, not everyone in here complaining either}

Alexandria, Virginia....not Egypt ;)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manfra is horrendous at actually describing what's happening on the field. He tries to cram way too much information into every sentence, and as a result it takes him about 5 minutes to describe a 5-second play. He does this over and over again, and it's incredibly frustrating to a listener who's trying to figure out what's happening in the game.

The way an announcer should describe a play: "And here's the 3-2 pitch to Cano. Swing, and a grounder to short. Hardy fields and makes the throw to first for the final out." (crowd cheers)

How Manfra describes it: "And the 3-2 delivery upcoming from the tall right-hander from eastern Michigan, to the Yankees' left-handed swinging second baseman...and... (crowd cheers, because the play is already over) ...it's...a...ground ball to the shortstop J.J. Hardy, and...(pause)... on an easy hop, to his glove side left, J.J.... (pause)... makes the casual throw across the diamond."

You hear the crowd cheering a long time before Manfra finishes explaining what actually happened on the play. So you know that something has happened, but you have to wait for Manfra to finish his stream of consciousness ramblings before you can caught up.

Precisely!

Thank you!

I remember earlier this year listening to a game in the car and I could hear fan reaction that the play was over. Literally 10-12 seconds later (no exaggeration) I screamed out loud "was he out or safe?!" because Manfra just kept babbling on.

You really dont think alcoholism is a touchy issue?

Who said anything about alcoholism?

I just said that he sounds like he's drunk... because, well, he sounds like he's drunk when he talks. He slurs. I'm pretty sure that doesn't make him an alcoholic.

Anyway, I apologize if I offended you. That certainly was not my intention.

So I'm the only one that likes him?

If you tell me that he is worse than Bordick I'll slap you.

Bordick is bad, but he's not annoying. He's just really bad. Dempsey is bad AND annoying.

Bordick is new. He's almost exactly like Palmer (without the constant self-promotion) in that they both have the personality of a dead moth, but he's not really that bad. Just new.

Demper is just horrible. He said Davis could be a 60 HR hitter last night.

Bordick is new. He's almost exactly like Palmer (without the constant self-promotion) in that they both have the personality of a dead moth, but he's not really that bad. Just new.

Demper is just horrible. He said Davis could be a 60 HR hitter last night.

Not sure who you're listening to. Palmer has personality coming out all of his orifices.

I don't hate Dempsey, I just think he has to know his role. Os Xtra and ambdassador to the franchise is fine. In game analyst is not.

Name an instance when Dempsey taught you something valuable.

There was this video I saw as a kid where Dempsey jumped into what looked like a muddy pond and emerged several seconds later with a large fish between his teeth. Since that day I've known it was possible to fish using only your incisors.

Also, he taught me that it's always a bad idea to try to block the plate when you weigh 175 pounds and Bo Jackson is approaching at full speed.

I actually thought this was very interesting and probably a valid point. I've never played organized baseball at any point in my life, so he could just be flat out wrong and misleading me.

But it has to be completely wrong. Has to be. If you could turn a guy with a .767 career OPS into Roger Maris with a tiny little tweak like that there'd be a lot more Roger Marises! It's like saying that Jason Hammel would be Sandy Koufax if only he'd keep his shoulder back a little bit or something. It's the kind of thing that might sound impressive if you don't think about it, but if you do it's completely crazy.

Well ya gotta be patient.

Well ya talk about a game of inches.

Well ya gotta like that play.

Well ya see the fastball....

I don't see the problem:)

Every fringe/AAAA player that comes to the plate..."I really like this kid. I see a lot of potential for him to be a real good player. He's got a real nice swing, blah blah blah."

No thats not what I am saying. I dont really have a huge problem with it, in a setting with friends I would have absolutely no problem joking about that. Its just a bit confusing that cursing is not allowed here, you cannot have improper grammar and/or punctuation, but there is no problem with making jokes about someones possible drunkenness...its just strange.

Huh? I mean, everyone can have an opinion, but seriously, did you just suggest that we should police "making jokes about someones possible drunkenness?" This would take away half our jokes. :)

Archived