Tough to listen to

warrior21

That's funny that you mentioned this subject, because I was thinking the same thing last night.

I was watching both games, Nat's and O's and I was like these play by play guys and for the most part the color guys are such fanboys. You would think every guy on both rosters are All-Stars. Last nights comment that got me in a stitch, was "they have to respect Robert's speed at first because he is such a threat to run". Really a threat to steal a base after being out so long? you would think Roberts was Ricky Henderson or something last night. It went on and on about Roberts disrupting the flow of the game for the pitcher etc, I don't know kind of over the top. I do like P.F. Santangelo (Nat's Color Guy), he does have some good insight generally speaking. PF seems more insightful than Bordick right now.

Santangelo is one of the biggest homers I have ever heard.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im sorry, Im pretty sure I miss understood your posts. I thought you were calling him essentially 'A drunk'. I assumed that being drunk at work everyday denoted alcoholism but i was off.

Again, I am not offended in the least. I just don't know if this was the right setting. Fair enough?

No worries.

Again, didn't mean it to be offensive and apologies if it was.

Santangelo is one of the biggest homers I have ever heard.

I agree... there is something about him that rubs me the wrong way. Honestly, I'm not very fond of Bob Carpenter either. They seem kind of smug or something... I can't put my finger on it. I like the Nats, so I'm not even really biased against them.

Huh? I mean, everyone can have an opinion, but seriously, did you just suggest that we should police "making jokes about someones possible drunkenness?" This would take away half our jokes. :)

Could we just change the title of Yudi's Classic Thread, "Post here when you're drunk" to "Post here when you're drunk AND making jokes about someones possible drunkenness"? Then, make an OH Rule to be signed off on before one can ever post that all joking references to someone's possible drunkenness be only posted in the subject thread. Violators will be banned to SG's desert isle to be berated 24/7 until you agree that Casey Kotchman is All-star material. Oh, of course, and no drinking the pina coladas! ;)

I agree... there is something about him that rubs me the wrong way. Honestly, I'm not very fond of Bob Carpenter either. They seem kind of smug or something... I can't put my finger on it. I like the Nats, so I'm not even really biased against them.

The worst was when Fox had Carpenter on the Saturday Nats-O's game. Carpenter was being way too homeristic and acting like this was another game on MASN. I think the problem with the Nats' broadcasters is they over inflate their team. They're not as bad as Hawk Harrelson though who is my least favorite ever. As for ours, Hunter just rubs me the wrong way for similar reasons that Carpenter does. I mean it's nice if a guy has a 3-4 game hitting streak but he brings them up as if they're 10-20 game ones.

One time Santangelo tried to convince Palmer that playing in the NL is both more exciting and more difficult. lol...

But...but...but...Dempsey said Chris Davis COULD hit 60 home runs if he'd stop rolling over his top hand! :)

What was hilarious to me was how Dempsey was being critical of Davis "rolling over his top hand" immediately after he hit a frozen rope down the right field line for a single off the scoreboard. Said he should've stayed "inside" the ball.

When I listen to the sports media and play by play guys, I'm convinced that 75% of the posters on this board could do a better job, given the opportunity.

When I listen to the sports media and play by play guys, I'm convinced that 75% of the posters on this board could do a better job, given the opportunity.

I don't know. I think I'd have a really hard time:

a) not actively rooting for the O's, ala Hawk Harrelson

b) trying to fill random dead time with stuff anybody would care to listen to (imagine the 334th thread on the Hangout about Wilt bringing up the 1894 Orioles again)

c) trying to not use OPS/FIP/WAR and "regression to the mean" every third sentence

d) not cursing, or just faux cursing in German or Battlestar Galactican

e) trying to not think about how idiotic I sound on recordings

Knowledge of baseball may not actually be the #1 requirement for an announcer. It might be like #6.

b) trying to fill random dead time with stuff anybody would care to listen to (imagine the 334th thread on the Hangout about Wilt bringing up the 1894 Orioles again)

c) trying to not use OPS/FIP/WAR and "regression to the mean" every third sentence

Knowledge of baseball may not actually be the #1 requirement for an announcer. It might be like #6.

I think letter D would be the toughest for me. Particularly when facing the Sux or Yanks, I find myself using colorful language more often than not.

Gary Thorne, in his most inebriated moments, snaps into this nuclear baseball awareness in the middle of complete silliness. It's like he is somehow hyper connected to the game on a cellular level.

Carpenter tries to hard. His broadcasts almost seem rehearsed. As far as Jim Hunter goes, he does a much better job on the radio where he has to stick to the task at hand, describing the game and giving stats . It's when he's on TV and he has to fill time is where he starts to lose me.

Archived