What was MASN thinking during Roberts' first at bat?

Frobby

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The folks at MASN have no situational awareness. Plain and simple, same as the 'tag team' effort during the Nats series.

Yep, this is a great way of putting it. I tweeted my displeasure to whatever intern covers the MASN account.

This aggravated me also. I DVRed this game so I could stand in my living room and embrace the return of Roberts. Instead I got the keys to the Pirates pitcher pitching well that night as you could hear the crowd in the distance. Ridiculous.

But what if it was...

Abraham_Lincoln_-_Vampire_Hunter_Poster.jpg

From the bottom of my heart, thank you Hollywood. Just when I thought there'd never be another They Saved Hitler's Brain, or Bubba Ho-Tep, somebody pulls out Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. I seriously can't wait until my kids are older and the TV is once again freed up for stuff like this.

Conversely, Joe Angle did a great job on the radio broadcast. He stopped talking so that you could hear the crowd and his call for the hit could have been that for a game winning hit. Joe Angle really is a pleasure to listen to.

If anyone can post an audio clip, I'd love to hear this.

Last night's broadcast was terrible all the way around.

After Ryan Flaherty made a beautiful diving catch in right field, Dempsey and Hunter were all lathered up about the runner tagging at third leaving the base too early. I kept anticipating a split-screen replay but they never showed one.

Then when Endy Chavez pulled a hammy, Rick Dempsey said, (paraphrasing) "When the weather is hot and sticky like this, guys tend to pull muscles..." WTF?!?! Actually, Rick, I spoke with science and it says when the weather is COLD guys are more susceptible to pulling muscles.

MASN, Jim Hunter, Rick Dempsey...way to mail it in last night! :rolleyes:

Last night's broadcast was terrible all the way around.

After Ryan Flaherty made a beautiful diving catch in right field, Dempsey and Hunter were all lathered up about the runner tagging at third leaving the base too early. I kept anticipating a split-screen replay but they never showed one.

Then when Endy Chavez pulled a hammy, Rick Dempsey said, (paraphrasing) "When the weather is hot and sticky like this, guys tend to pull muscles..." WTF?!?! Actually, Rick, I spoke with science and it says when the weather is COLD guys are more susceptible to pulling muscles.

MASN, Jim Hunter, Rick Dempsey...way to mail it in last night! :rolleyes:

Of course, Dempsey is the third string color man, so I can't fault him too much for a poor performance on one of the handful of games he'll do this year. Hunter has no such excuse.

Angel did a good job on the radio. Sorry I don't have a clip, but he basically just said "Let's listen to the ovation for Brian Roberts" and then - other announcers take note - WAS QUIET for a few seconds.

After Roberts got the base hit, he said something like "Where have you BEEN Brian Roberts - we've missed you!", or something along those lines. And he was careful to report about Brian diving safely back into the bag, etc.

Basically, he seemed to understand that importance of the moment more than the MASN guys, apparently. I did not see the MASN coverage, but if it was as non-chalant as has been said here, do you think that was possibly at Brian's request? Maybe he didn't want a big deal made about it? I don't know, but it seems pretty remarkable that they wouldn't milk that moment.

And when they finally showed a terrible view of the play from a full field overview perspective it was pretty clear that if he'd left early it was only a split second. Nothing obvious at all.

Hmm...didn't notice. Didn't really care either. Just really glad to see him back and had a huge grin on my face when he got that single. :D

These are my thoughts, exactly. I am much happier that he found early success than I am upset by any missing camera shots, etc.

Angel did a good job on the radio. Sorry I don't have a clip, but he basically just said "Let's listen to the ovation for Brian Roberts" and then - other announcers take note - WAS QUIET for a few seconds.

After Roberts got the base hit, he said something like "Where have you BEEN Brian Roberts - we've missed you!", or something along those lines. And he was careful to report about Brian diving safely back into the bag, etc.

Basically, he seemed to understand that importance of the moment more than the MASN guys, apparently. I did not see the MASN coverage, but if it was as non-chalant as has been said here, do you think that was possibly at Brian's request? Maybe he didn't want a big deal made about it? I don't know, but it seems pretty remarkable that they wouldn't milk that moment.

If I'm running MASN and have an interest in building up the Oriole brand, I'm promoting the heck out of its more marketable players, regardless of what they wish. Thus I really doubt BRob made such a request. I'd say that considering how close his career was to being over, he'd appreciate the attention for his achievement.

Archived